Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed." Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790) American statesman, author, scientist & inventor

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, October 21, 2015. I use the little gummy fruit snacks to help me get through the day. They have become a regular part of my diet. I especially like nearly anything that is lime flavored. I thought I had a really good day going when I opened a package of the Dora the Explorer 80 calorie fruit snacks the other day. Four, count them, four light green, you know, lime flavored treats. WRONG! I went to the website for Betty Crocker to check out the details behind these little odd shaped snacks. First of all, they all have real fruit as their base. Yippee! Not so fast Bucko! The real fruit is pear and apple concentrate. To this there is the added natural flavoring of strawberry, grape, orange, and cherry. Something is missing here. No lime. None. My good day just got a big X all over it. How dare them. Green must mean green apple. I can still eat a little individual cup of Dole pineapples in lime gel. The pineapples are yellow but the gel is green. You know. Lime green. We get how they come up with the pineapples. That's pretty straight forward. Here's what makes up this 90 calorie snack: Water, Pineapple, Sugar, Natural Flavors, Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Flumaric Acid, Malic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (To Promote Color Retention), FDandC: Yello #5 (Color), and FDandC; Blue #1 (Color). I suppose the lime is found in all of these additives connected to the natural flavors. I guess I will go with that. No more Dora snacks for me. The light green ones now make me angry and the box I have says it was made in Mexico. I should have guessed since she uses a lot of Spanish on her show. Don't turn me in to the speech police, I'm just having a little fun.

I saw a hashtag the other day on Twitter postings with this sentiment: #rememberwhenpeopleactually: ~ Made private phone calls instead of everyone hearing them in the middle of the restaurant. ~ Had manners. ~ Ate and enjoyed their food instead of mostly taking pictures of it. ~ Were not focused all the time on finding something to be offended by. ~ Thought the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit was ridiculous. ~ Let their kids play outside without worrying about them. ~ Lauded honesty instead of shaming those who practice it. ~ Had to have some kind of talent to be famous. ~ Were doing great without knowing anything at all about the Kardashians. ~ Minded their own business. ~ Were embarrassed to be viewed as a victim. ~ Ate home cooked meals and ate as a family. ~ Memorized and knew most of the important numbers. ~ Wrote letters. ~ Passed notes in class instead of texting. ~ Cared more about real teams than those in their fantasy league. ~ Believed that network news did their best to report the truth. ~ Prayed to God who created them instead of praying to the universe God created. ~ There were plenty of others but that gives you a taste of what folks had on their minds.

Last Saturday morning I was up very early and about 4:30 a.m. I went outside to enjoy my coffee. It was cool and crisp. The stars were beautiful and sparkling with clarity. I kept moving around to find a place where the artificial light was not as much as an interference so that I could see better. Suddenly there was this very bright light off in the distance. I didn't recognize it at first. I came to realize it was one of those mega jets on its flight path to the big airport. The pilot had his headlights on bright. There it was beaming with a backdrop of a starlit morning. This reminded me of that light from a star that lit up the sky in anticipation and preparation for the coming of the Christ Child. It also reminded me of Matthew's quoting of Isaiah's prophetic words,  "THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SITTING IN DARKNESS SAW A GREAT LIGHT, AND THOSE WHO WERE SITTING IN THE LAND AND SHADOW OF DEATH, UPON THEM A LIGHT DAWNED." (Matthew 4:16) He was speaking as an introduction to the Light of the world Jesus the Christ. By that time I was standing in the middle of the road and I could begin to hear the roar of those engines as they came ever closer to their destination. A good start to my day and some wonderful thoughts about how it must have been when some wise men from afar came to Jerusalem seeking a King because they had seen His star. Have a great rest of the day and may God illuminate our way as we continue our journey. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: