Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Urban Dictionary - Game Face: A confident swagger you bring out when you are about to get ready to tackle something difficult, or when you are about to take on a challenge."

Hello and welcome. It's Wednesday, October 7, 2015. Do you have your game face on for today? I had to ask that question because of the photo of our grandson, Brady Darrell, son of our youngest Rodney and his wife Mitzi. That boy does his stuff with intensity and you can see it in his eyes and his expression. Ready. Determined. Focused. You do have to pity his opponents. Right? Well, he will be ten in January and he is typically not as large as most of the other players, however, he does make up for any size differences with his attitude and intensity. While I as his grandfather do have my concerns about little fellows playing football, I am glad that since his parents made the decision to let him participate he does so with purpose and commitment. Don't write and tell me about the sissification of our kids. That has nothing to do with it. There are dangers associated with nearly every kind of activity kids engage in. I suppose I read a little too much about some of the football related life altering injuries and how the total number and the seriousness have been for the most part suppressed over time. Social media and other types of investigative exposure has helped shine a light on this particular area that does present information that is of concern. To someone like me. You know. A grandpa that goes by the name of Poppy.

While I'm talking about Rodney's bunch, here's our granddaughter Lexie Dee doing her thing on the volley ball court. That's her in the middle. She also has that intensity gene and it comes through loud and strong when she is on the court. That girl is a remarkable kid who is growing up too fast for me. One day I'm jumping her up and down on my lap and the next she's diving for a save on the volley ball court. She was in an art ceramics class a few years ago and she made me a couple of coffee mugs. Well, they are probably just ceramic mugs but they have well earned the coffee designation. What? Very true. To be 100% accurate, they are Community Coffee Mugs. She gave me those cups not that long ago. But when I check the little inscription on the one here at work it says Lexie - 2007. No. Can't be. It has a whole lot of hearts on it and a whole lot of stains as well. That was eight years ago? You've got to be kidding! See what I mean. You blink and BAM, they are grown up.

Speaking of grown up, well, there's Rodney and Mitzi's eldest, Kyleigh. She's a 20 year old student up at Sam Houston State. That's our Kyleigh on the left along with Brady and Lexie. Kyleigh is busy with her classes and her sorority activities. She too is a remarkable young woman and we thank God for all of our grandchildren. We have two more boys who have children with similar stories, all of them growing up before our very eyes as well. Time is fleeting folks. Let's face it. We gain a much better appreciation for this as we look back from the vantage point of the aged. I know. Fine wine and cheese. But, in my case, it's a blessing to be a part of all of the lives of these that God has given to us. Our boys and their wives along with their offspring: Tiffany, Brittany, Celeste Danielle, Stefani, Kyleigh, Jimmy Jr., our twins, Alesha and Amanda, Alex, Brady, and last but not least our great grand Madelyn Joy (Madi). We thank God for allowing us to be mom and dad and mimi and poppy. At Chris' 50th birthday celebration the other evening I could not have been more proud to share a special dinner with him and his clan. We actually don't see our entire group that often anymore but there's this connection thingy that happens when we do, and it shows. At that special dinner I grabbed up Madi girl and introduced her to the lady waiting our table, "Did you know that this is my great granddaughter?" May God bless them all and may He continue to guide our way. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: