Friday, October 16, 2015

When life gets tough, pause and remember how blessed you truly are. And know that God will provide. Amen.

Aunt Joy
Here we are and that in and of itself is an expression of thankfulness, here on this Friday, October 16, 2015. This has been a tough week. A man in our local fellowship that we have known for nearly 40 years received a really bad report from the results of his treatments for pancreatic cancer. This is a very difficult time for him and his family. We've pretty much been close family for all these years watching our children grow up and the grandchildren grow up and even the great grands. All we can do is to go to the One who knows all about it and to seek His grace, mercy, and provision at this time. On Tuesday I received word that my Aunt Joy from over in Georgia had passed away. She was 80 and the widow of my Uncle Curtis who was my mom's baby brother. Uncle Curtis collapsed while running a marathon in 1980 and succumbed to the heart attack and stroke he suffered in February of 1981. Aunt Joy never remarried. She raised three sons. Aunt Joy was one of the most genuinely gentle and sweet people anyone could have ever met or known. Based on the many comments made on the funeral home website it's obvious she had a wonderful testimony for her Lord. I didn't get to where I am without the encouragement and help of others. Aunt Joy and Uncle Curtis did their best to help me as I was growing up. She always enjoyed the Christmas update card I sent each year. I told the wife it seemed like every year I'm taking dear ones off of our card list. I know that comes with age but it doesn't make it any easier. Please say a prayer for the three boys and their families as they say so long for now to their devoted mom.

So many memories when things like this occurs. Aunt Joy was a life long educator, retiring after more than 30 years of teaching elementary children. Uncle Curtis had been a mid level executive with IBM. I remember staying with them in my early teens. She had finished college and Uncle Curtis was still finishing up at McNeese State in Lake Charles. He worked part time for KPLC TV Channel 7. He did set up for particular segments and he also operated a camera. I was able to go to work with him at the TV station. It was all so amazing to me. They did many of their local commercials live. The used car they were featuring wouldn't start so we all got behind it and pushed it into the studio. It looked really good on TV. I learned a lot through those experiences. What you see on TV is not always the reality of the situation. Like politicians, etc., etc. They lived in a rented very small trailer home and it was tight quarters. I really don't know why they invited me to stay with them. I'm glad they did. One summer when I was working for my uncle in Florida they came down from Texas for a visit and I rode back with them and they dropped me off at my home place in Louisiana. Family. It matters folks. It really does. I can only thank God for His provisions for me including the family He allowed me to grow up in. Amen.

I know some folks think it silly to look back on your life through the lens of God's moving and working in your life. Sorry. I really don't know of any other way to look at it based on the truth God has revealed to us in His Word. He is at work in the lives of His own regardless of the events, circumstances, and the trials that come our way. Therefore, rather than being silly to view life that way it really is the only way to make sense of how we arrived at where we are today. His purpose is alive and well even when I'm not really clued in to how He is working. How can we embrace this as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Only by faith. Not by sight. Not by feelings. Only by faith. He has told us that without faith it is impossible for us to please Him. (Hebrews 11:6) The Apostle Paul also was inspired to let us know how the things we can't see, those things seen by faith, are much more real than those we can touch and feel. (2nd Corinthians 4:18) Okay. That should do it for another week of me scattering gray cells all over the map, here, there, and wherever. Thanks for tuning in and for keeping up with me. I appreciate it. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll do my very best to have something for us to consider come Monday morning. Lord willing. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: