Thursday, October 29, 2015

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 95 today and we have no idea where she is." ~ copied

It's good to be able to greet everyone today on this Thursday, October 29, 2015. I hear some people who say that Halloween is their favorite holiday occasion of the year. Really? That doesn't even register with me. I can see how it might be enjoyable but their favorite occasion of the year? I think sometimes that I am out of sync with most of the world. I was telling our eldest son the other day about us being devoted watchers of NCIS. It is often the most watched program on TV each week. But, it doesn't attract the highest number of the advertiser's target audience of the 18-30 year old folks. I read something about it. The average age of all people watching TV programming is 42-44. The average age of the huge audience watching NCIS is 62-64. My son responded by essentially saying now he understands why he just couldn't get into it even though he had tried several times. He has something to look forward to in another 15 years, reruns of NCIS! Here's another thought. We were switching around and landed on the new Supergirl TV show. The wife and I watched it for a few minutes but we could not believe the awful, poorly written and delivered dialogue and how totally absurd the whole thing was. We couldn't stay with it. The next day the critics were falling all over themselves. They thought it was great. Superb. Finally, a woman super hero. We pronounced it unwatchable and they heralded it as must see. No wonder we can't seem to get with it the way others do. That may be the reason they have so many hearing aid commercials on the programs we watch.

In the class I teach at our local fellowship on Sunday mornings we just finished a verse by verse study of the Holy Spirit inspired two letters written through the Apostle Paul to the believers who were members of the local called out assembly meeting in Thessalonica, Greece. That congregation was born as the Gospel was preached and men, women, boys and girls came to know Christ. The persecution from the Jewish community was great. The persecution from the pagan folks was also great. The Apostle Paul took Godly pride in this small flock as he recognized their evangelistic fervor. He had only been able to spend a short time with this newly established fellowship, therefore, these letters were sent to increase their understanding of critical truths. One of the underlying themes from these letters emphasized the certainty of the return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ. Some in that congregation misunderstood this truth. Others attempted to use it as a way of manipulating people. Think about it. Many times we feel intimidated whenever the subject of end time truths comes up. Why? These were for the most part new believers but Paul knew they needed to know the truth about the way that God will conclude His plan and purpose here on earth. No series of books on the subject. No seminars to attend. Just the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Our class learned that whenever we truly recognize and take hold of the truth of our Lord's return it should become a present reality in our day by day living. It's that real. It's that important. And, we have God's word on it! Amen.

Don't get me wrong. I am very thankful for the work of so many great God fearing scholars who over the years have given us the outcome of their years of devoted research and study. At the same time, I used to be one who was intimidated by this subject. I've dealt with pastors who feel unqualified to teach or preach about end time events. Therefore, they don't. That, my friend, is not only ridiculous, but it serves the enemy's purpose in hiding the truth from those who need to hear it. If ordinary people can get hold of this truth who in the first century huddled together and by an oil lamp were instructed from their teaching elder who read to them a Holy Spirit inspired letter, then why would that not work today? I know. I've more than belabored my point but coming to this understanding was a major breakthrough for me and that's why I am still talking about it today. You wondered? Now you know. What happens when we fail to get hold of this truth? We certainly will not make it our reality for our day by day living. Get it? Making it our reality will cause us to make decisions and choices with this in mind. Okay. At least you know how I feel about it. As they used to say back home, "Don't be a stranger." I'm sure as a young fellow I didn't know exactly what they meant. But I do now. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: