Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"What does Santa bring naughty boys and girls on Christmas Eve? A pack of batteries which at the bottom says 'toy not included'." (copied)

We had ourselves one very busy weekend just passed. Today is Tuesday, October 27, 2015 and I'm still thinking about how we were doing our best to get here and there to take care of this, that, and the other. I left a little early Friday afternoon from work in order to get home and get changed and drive out to the country for a wedding Friday evening. The wedding was for the son of a couple we've known for many years in our local Church. In fact, we watched the daddy grow up with our boys. Now he and his wife have married off the first of their three children. It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony and everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief because the rain held off. After the wedding we went to the hospital to visit a dear friend, (the grandfather of the groom), who is dealing with various complications from his battle with pancreatic cancer. We were able to share a prayer with him. He and his family have been special to us for over forty years. Up early Saturday morning to get ready to get ready for a photo shoot at the professional studio. I have been privileged to work with Mindy, the photographer, for five years now. I love her work. The shots above were taken to promote the upcoming two days where we will be making scheduled photographs. I understand and she understands that I am a prop because the children are the stars of the show. I think you can see that in her work. We had a full day on Sunday with much rain, Church, morning and evening, and when it was time to say goodnight it didn't take long. Not long at all my friend, not long at all. We needed the rain and we are thankful for it. At the same time we pray for those who were impacted by some localized flooding.

It was so very wet on Sunday. I always worry about folks getting in and out of our Church meeting place without slipping. Especially our older folks. I put up some cones just to alert everyone of how slippery it can be. I was talking to one fellow about it and we both had to agree that it's not our older folks, but rather, it is us older folks. I don't know about you but it's hard for me to include myself in that category even though I have the social security number and the wear and tear to make me a full fledged member. Maybe that's my way of dealing with it. Sure. I am aware of all the stories about how this age is now the new much younger age. They need to interview those pesky relatives of mine. You know the ones I'm talking about. Uncle Arthur (Arthritis) and Uncle Bursy (Bursitis) would be good ones to start with. If they don't give a full account there are others waiting in the wings. Here's some advice given by the great general and wartime hero George S. Patton: "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired... You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going." It will take me a while to digest that one.

The wife was out of town recently and I ran by the Taco Bell to pick us some tacos for the pot luck supper we have each Wednesday evening at the Church. I told the young man that I wanted two of the ten pack deluxe tacos. I could tell he was new. They seem to have a lot of new ones at that location. And, at my age they all look about 12 to me. He kindly reminded me that there were 10 tacos in each of those boxes. I couldn't resist. I said, "Can't you tell that I am really hungry?" He rang it up. Well, they don't really ring up things anymore. It's all electronically controlled by a computer. That way it tells them exactly what to do and how to make change. Lord help them if they have to make change without the terminal telling them what it should be. He gave me the amount I owed. I then asked was he going to give me the old people's discount. He chuckled and said he would be glad to. I had learned previously that if you don't ask they are not supposed to offer it. Just think. Looking at me, he may have offered the discount to a fellow who was way too young to receive it. He gave me the discount but I left still wondering about the chuckling part. You know how these things trouble the minds of us older folks. I may be kidding. I may not be. I'll have to get back to you later on that one. Enjoy your day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: