Friday, June 12, 2015

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows." The 23rd Division of the Pslams, Verse 5, from the New American Standard Bible, (NASB)

Hello class and welcome to today's topic where we are thinking about the meaning of a cup running over here on this Friday, June 12, 2015. My little Keurig makes one cup at a time. It does a wonderful job. What it cannot do is to inform you when you do something very stupid, like putting in enough water for one cup, forgetting that you did so, putting in enough water for one cup again, and then seeing it come to fruition. Clean up on aisles 1, 2, and 3. I did get a full motion illustration of that overflowing cup mentioned by David in Psalm 23. Of course the type of overflow he was talking about was the blessings that God bestows. My overflow essentially produced a mess that had to be dealt with. So, I had a little heart to heart with myself and decided on a form of punishment. Because I had been so lackadaisical in my attention to detail I pronounced judgement. It went like this: Due to my dumbness exhibited by my direlection to my duty I was sentenced to drink the full measure of my mistake, the weak half as strong coffee that now existed in two cups instead of one. It was painful but I felt remorseful and at the same time also a little sad for people who drink weak coffee. Maybe something good came out of it: Sincere pity.

It was intended to be humorous so don't get all bent out of shape if you like weak coffee. I don't. What? You gathered that? Good. The professional ice hockey championship is being played. The Stanley Cup. I enjoy ice hockey but I don't watch it that often. I've seen some of the matches between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Chicago Blackhawks. The hockey players amaze with their speed and skill. I don't have a dog in the hunt but I have heard and read some analysis of these two teams. The Chicago team is old school all the way. They follow the traditional path and it has well served them. The Lightning reflect their name. They play with wild abandonment and do the unexpected. They are the new wave of the future so to speak. Okay. Confession time. I immediately identified with old school Chicago so I internally started pulling for the Blackhawks. Tradition versus the new day. This struck me as being interesting since we are studying how that folks at times hang on to traditions in their Church practice and tend to treat the traditions themselves as sacred. Many of these reflect preferences, not principles, and certainly not doctrines. I was drawn to the old school Blackhawks because I am an old school type of guy. Some food for thought in there somewhere. Think about it.

Do I need to find a spiritual point or a Biblical reference in all the things I find myself involved in? Probably not but I suppose having this as a frame of reference can be helpful. And, I don't know of anyone who would disagree with the fact that I need all the help I can get. The Mayo Clinic believes they have unlocked the secret to being happy. They studied this intensely because they believe happy people are also healthy people. You can Google it and read the article about the study for yourself but I'll give you my own crib note version. Happy people are those who are resilient in the face of all the challenges that come with life itself. They are those that hang in there. Those who stay focused. A couple of good illustrations from the study stood out to me, "So for example, if you’ve had a difficult day, when you get back home, for the first three minutes, forget about it, park it, and meet your family as if they’re long lost friends." Here's another astute observation: "Complainers are never going to be happy." Of course they believe this attitude can be found within one's self. I also believe it is found in a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ. Nearly every point mentioned is in one way or another reflective of the admonitions from The Scriptures. Little kids could help them: Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so. That's a wrap as they say. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and Lord willing I'll see you next time. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later. 

No comments: