Tuesday, June 16, 2015

"Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much." -- Helen Keller

Today is homecoming day at my place. That's right. The wife will be returning from her tour which began last Thursday when she left me for the Louisiana promised land. I have determined that after 50 and 1/2 years of married life, well, things work better when we are together than when we are apart. I believe Solomon had something to say about this even though he was not talking about marriage. "Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor." (Book of Ecclesiastes, Chapter 4, Verse 9) It is Tuesday, June 16, 2015, and I bid you a hearty hello. She sometimes asks embarrassing questions when she returns. She may want to know how many times I made the bed while she was gone. Yikes. I would think the fact that it is made when she returns would be good enough. What say you? I suppose she inquires because she is a serial bed maker. That's one of the first things she does every day. Get up and make the bed. I tend to be a little more introspective in my thoughts about making up a bed that within 12 hours I will be sleeping in again, in exactly the same spot. At any rate, I will be so happy that our little two person team is back together again. It just works better that way, period.

You think you know what the problem is all about. Oh, really? You think what? That I'm missing those homemade biscuits, a homemade omelet made like no one else can make it, hash browns along with the grits, sausage, bacon, and homemade jelly? I'm not giving any prizes because that's a given. Too easy. And, yes, I do miss our times to share meals together. We are getting older and more set in our ways. When I think about her cooking a meal versus us going out somewhere, it only makes us disappointed in whatever it is that we go out for. I'm not sure if that's a commentary on the downward trend in the quality of food in eating establishments, or, if we are just stuck on knowing where the best food can be found. At home. Of course. I don't deny that it could be my taste mechanisms as well. They have changed over time. I read some about it and it is not that rare in folks as they get older. I mentioned it to my doctor and I think I even memorized the medical name for it. I can't remember if he gave me one or two grunts but it didn't seem to be too serious to him. He was probably thinking about that big plate of pasta he would be having for lunch later that day. I told you that I have a rough time of it. A little sympathy wouldn't hurt anything. But, that's okay. I will do my best to soldier on. Pass those grits with all that butter on them. One more serving ought to do it.

We do have some Big Rain headed our way. That's certainly not good news for those who are already dealing with the aftermath of flooding from a couple of weeks ago. The other day I was in Houston visiting a business and when I was getting ready to turn left I looked down a long residential street on the right. Oh my, what a sight! All the homes had debris and earthly possessions stacked out on the curb, as far as I could see. It made me shudder. I can identify, thanks to Ike where we also had our stuff out on the street waiting for it to be hauled away. I can remember the unbelievable stress and challenge that came with that weather event. My heart goes out to all those impacted by these storms. I remember when we were at our lowest thinking about those who were much older or those who had no insurance or those who had no family or friends to help. We were stressed and that's something we cannot deny but at the same time we were blessed because we had all of those things at work on our behalf. And, more than anything else, we had God and His presence in our lives. Amen. May God bless those who are struggling with these types of challenges in their lives is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: