Thursday, June 4, 2015

Schizophrenia - National Institutes of Health: "Sometimes they believe they are someone else, such as a famous historical figure."

Welcome to Thursday, June 4, 2015, where I thought it might be a good idea to start off with a Santa update. Johnny Cash was known as the man in black. I suppose since early this year I am becoming known as the man in red. You might remember that I bought 5 red shirts and a dozen red caps. That is now my Monday through Friday uniform and sometimes on Saturday as well. The Santa from the puppet/animated version of Rudolf first aired in December of 1964 has been more or less my role model in terms of identity. I took the photo of myself yesterday sitting here at my workstation. As you can see, even though I did cut back the beard significantly earlier in the year, it is beginning to take shape. Do I get much recognition in my red attire? Quite a bit, actually. Many of the folks I deal with know that I am the real Santa to begin with, therefore, they just joke about it now and then. What? What's up with the real Santa moniker? That's what I started out calling myself. I have an email account to prove it. If you would like to send the real Santa a message you can get in touch with him at the_realsanta@yahoo.com. That's how all the folks we do business with schedule our services. Any questions? I see that hand. Do I know that some people have become deluded into believing they are Santa? I wouldn't know about that delusion stuff since I am the real Santa anyway. Any more questions?

No. I am not poking fun at mental illnesses. Just trying to have a little fun. Just be glad I don't think I am the real Napoleon. I worked for a fellow one time who was ruthless. His reputation was widely known. His behind his back nickname was 'the little general'. He was short and stocky. That reference was how Napoleon was known. The guy I worked for knew about the nickname and I believe he was very pleased. He was intense. In fact, he was a walking heart attack. Literally. After the second heart surgery he was put on the transplant list and medically retired. No more Napoleon or the little general. Next up was the heir apparent. That became a blessing in my life because I became the new department head. I was no doubt called a lot of names and yet they didn't even know my true identity. The real Santa. I didn't either at the time. In fact, I'm almost certain they never associated my leadership with ho ho ho or jolly but we had a wonderful run and I had one of the most effective, loyal, and devoted staffs around. My approach was to turn them loose and see what all we could get accomplished working together. They made me look good. If they could see me now! Ho Ho!

Your perception that on certain days I struggle to find things of interest to write about is very much on target. Good job. The not so good news is that it typically does not keep me from throwing stuff up on the electronic page. Anyway. I'll let you be the judge if today is one of those days. I am also aware that on any given day life itself can be challenging. There are times when it seems like whatever we are doing doesn't seem to be working very well. That country folk song by Don Williams comes to mind, "Lord I Hope This Day is Good." The verses depict a person dealing with many trials but crying out to God for relief. I can identify with this stanza: ~ I don't need fortune and I don't need fame Send down the thunder, Lord, send down the rain But when you're plannin' just how it will be Plan a good day for me ~ We all have those kinds of days but it is so good to know that God is still there and He has not forgotten any of us. We are precious in His sight. You can count on that. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: