Wednesday, June 10, 2015

It doesn't take that much to entertain Great Grand Poppy!

This is the place to be here on this Wednesday, June 10, 2015. Why? It's where I will be talking a little more about us trying to keep up with a five year old this past weekend. She is just one little kid. How hard could that be? All I can say is that girl is stuck in hyper-drive and she is about as active as they come. She does know how to make an impact. On Friday evening we took her to the big mall to play in the indoor playground. It was much cooler than the park by our house. She played for about an hour. We then went to the food court and had some food from one of her favorites, Chick-fil-A. After that we came home and I settled into my recliner to watch the NASCAR truck race. In a few minutes she showed up with a Blu-Ray version she wanted us to watch on the big screen. That big screen happened to be the same one showing the truck race. The DVD was Ron Howard's version of The Grinch staring Jim Carrey. Score one for Madi. We ended up watching that movie until the end. We all got to bed at 11 p.m. That's well over an hour past my bedtime. Bottom line: A good time was had by all, especially the great grand. Just one question: How can one little girl her size turn everything upside down? All by herself? And lest I forget, during her time with us I did end up watching about 10 episodes of a Disney show called a Dog with a Blog. It's about a family with a talking dog who writes a blog on the side. It's one of her favorite shows. A talking dog who writes a blog? Yep. Ten episodes. She does make an impact.

I've been a time traveler since I was a kid. That was one of the escape mechanisms I used growing up in a small rural area. I would read a good book and then relive it through my time travel dreams. Our little Madi is a walking talking episode of time travel. I actually flinch sometimes at her facial responses as I think about her mom, our Tiffany, and how she reacted in exactly the same carbon copy way some twenty years ago. It's like I am dealing with a throw back Thursday identical twin in living color. It causes me to get that cat running over my grave sensation, if you know what I mean. I'm not as close to Madi as I was to her mom. Madi has her own Paw Paw, (our eldest), to have that special closest connection just like I had with her mom. He, by the way, likes to keep up with how things are going with our care for his granddaughter. He made one of those welfare check calls and I told him how that on Saturday evening she had passed out from exhaustion and I carried her upstairs and put her into her bed. I told him how I used to run up the stairs but I now am just a wee bit wobbly going up. He immediately asked that I not do that again. He said I could trip or slip and end up hurting Madi. And, oh yeah, I might hurt myself as well. I'm so glad he threw that last one in for good measure. I'm well aware that if the roles were reversed I would be making the same types of calls. (The previous facts are accurate but the mere telling of them may have created a sense of embellishment. Trust me, I can only work with the materials I have at hand.)

Her Paw Paw did come up with a pretty good assessment. He told the wife that he gets the idea that when Madi is with them she is treated like a princess and when Madi is with her great grands she gets treated like a queen. I thought that was pretty good and I most likely would have to plead no contest if pressed on the issue. 

Sunday when we showed up for the Church wide picnic I tried to fit in by wearing some Bermuda shorts. I already knew I had white legs. When I walked up to the group one of the fellows began shielding his eyes. Another one blurted out, "Hey brother, have you ever worn shorts in your entire life?" I told him I think I most certainly had worn shorts in the past. Maybe ten years ago. Even less. Maybe. They all got a kick out of my shark bait legs. And you are out there wondering if I really do face a lot of challenges in my life. I don't need Dr. Phil to tell me that I have problems. And no, I do not have him on my speed dial. I was only joking. Come to think about it I don't even have a speed dial. No wonder I get confused at times, but that does remind me of something. It's time for me to begin thinking about getting ready to think about my annual physical. I received an email reminding me that it is time to schedule my visit. Now I have to start studying for all those tests. I've been trying to lose ten pounds for about ten months, or more. There was a time when I could almost do that in a heartbeat. Now I lose two, gain one, lose one, gain two. I suppose my internal alarm clock is not the only thing having trouble these days. My weight control mechanism may be on sabbatical. I also suspect that it may have developed a taste for cheesecake. Okay. That will do it for today. What's that? Sure. Prayers are always appreciated and as you can tell I always and forever stand in need of them. Thanks.  Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: