Friday, June 5, 2015

"There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right." ~ Ronald Reagan

Friday has arrived and that sound is likely the swoosh that comes from a wave of the collective exhaling that comes when so many anticipate this particular day. You do know I am joking. Back in the day, (the way older folks talk), when I typically worked 70 plus hour weeks I would always tell folks that Friday only meant one thing to me. One thing only. It is the day before Saturday, period, and I was unanimous in that comment. However, now that I am closing in on 70 years, (15 months from now), well, I will admit to entertaining and enjoying the thought of ending the work week on Friday. At any rate, here we are and it is this particular Friday, June 5, 2015. Here's something that should not surprise you. The congressional hearings into the recent tragic AMTRAK train accident along with the data breech within the IRS, have a common thread. Those being questioned have memorized the same song and they sing it very well. The story in the song is basically one of lament. These folks could do a good job, they could avoid major problems like the ones mentioned, if only they could get the Congress to approve more people and more money for their beleaguered organizations. Here's my own little song in response: I told you so, I told you so, I told you so. You can supply whatever tune you like. I did mention before how this would be their response. Just in case you wondered. That's why I shared this little tidbit with you. It's not necessary for you to acknowledge my contribution. But, thanks, anyway.

Mark Twain felt it necessary to make a clarification to a reporter when he explained: "James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine, was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness; the report of my death was an exaggeration." The last part of his statement has become a famous saying with many variations, all of them attributed to Twain. Just this week the famous self important British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) was doing a dress rehearsal for the day when Queen Elizabeth will leave this world for her final reward. In a bizarre mistake one of their respected reporters tweeted out a notice of the Queen's death. This created quite a bit of consternation in the United Kingdom and brought on a most embarrassing series of apologies from the senior management at the BBC. I'm pretty sure the Queen was gratified to learn that the tweeted out results of her demise were, dare we say old chap, greatly exaggerated.

One final word before I bid you farewell for this week. A major TV news outlet in conjunction with one of the nation's leading newspapers just this week published a poll that shows a precipitous drop in the President's approval rating for how he is handling his job. The only problem. They published the poll but chose not to cover it on their own TV network. (ABC News/Washington Post) Maybe they are adopting a new philosophy: It speaks for itself or Enough said! Okay. I will wonder out loud. Do you think they would give the silent treatment to a poll like this if George W. was still in the oval office? And, by the way, President George W. is currently polling more favorable numbers than the current occupant of the highest office in our land. Second terms really do give people the time needed to examine exactly what the emperor is wearing, or not wearing. If you get my drift. I'll make that my parting shot or we can use it as a bookend for this particular week. I feel like I've been a lot of places and covered quite a bit of territory this week. I will do my best to get myself all rested up and ready to hit the ground running come next Monday. Lord willing of course. I do hope you have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Until next time, may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: