Friday, June 19, 2015

"All I know is that I carried you for nine months. I fed you, I clothed you, I paid for your college education. Friending me on Facebook seems like a small thing to ask in return." ~ Jodi Picoult, popular novelist

Hello folks and welcome to another round of stuff here at the ole blogger ranch with this one coming to you on Friday, June 19, 2015. I used the word stuff because it can carry the meaning of "matter, material, articles, or activities of a specified or indeterminate kind that are being referred to, indicated, or implied." Take for instance the utility in Facebook that recommends individuals that may be good candidates for becoming your friends. The recommendations are typically based on common threads of interest or because of a friend you already have on your list. That's okay for them to suggest and I can't remember actually using their recommendations because you don't have to accept them. It is called a social networking environment and that's why they try to get you to expand your own personal network. One thing that always surprises me. You see a recommendation and you also see who you know that they are already friends with. While some of these make sense, others are puzzling. I get it that being a firefighter might bring you in contact with another firefighter even if they are miles and moons apart. Teachers, same thing, etc., etc. Then you see one that makes little sense. How in the world would that person be friends with that person? It's mind-boggling. I've seen maybe a half dozen like that. Makes you wonder how they ever crossed paths. I know. I could ask but since I have no intention of sending them a friend request I'm left to ponder it as an unsolved mystery. It is what it is. You find your drama and I will find mine. Thank you very much.

I was really looking forward to my welcome home meal from the wife last Tuesday evening. However, she made it home around 11 a.m. and went immediately to our local Church meeting place to help out with preparations for vacation Bible school coming up next week. Because of the rain I left a little early but when I got home she was still missing. She didn't get home until after 6 p.m. I get it. Ministry first. Jesus loves the little children and so do I. No home cooked meal for me. I decided to whip up something on the fly and since these days every person known to humanity shares their recipes, I want to share this one with you. Take a small to medium sized potato and peel it and slice it into rounds. Heat up some oil and fry up these little rounds. Take them up and salt them as they drain on a paper towel. Now fry an egg to whatever texture you like. I don't really like them with the yellow completely hard but some do. Take two slices of white bread (un-toasted). On one side put a small amount of yellow mustard. On the other side put a small amount of Miracle Whip salad dressing. (Not mayonnaise, I'll tell you why later.) Now you can make your sandwich by carefully piling on the fried potato rounds and gently laying on the egg. I can't remember for sure but I think the egg goes on the mustard side. Now you are ready for a glass of ice cold milk. I dare you to try this sandwich. It's been in our family since I was a kid. Make it like I instructed because what you will find is when you taste it there will be a collision and clash of flavors that will nearly take the top of your head off. (Figuratively, of course.) I remember the wife's dad being talked into trying it one time. He wasn't interested but finally gave in. One time was all it took. After that, he had to have this particular sandwich often, even several times a week. He enjoyed them until he suffered his disabling stroke at age 80. That's what I fixed for my supper and it was not only good but it brought back great memories too. Don't leave out the milk. Every detail is important. Go forth and enjoy. Oh yeah. Just repeat the steps above for the second one. (Just kidding.)

I'm just doing my part to teach you how to fish instead of giving you a fish. I think I heard Emeril Lagasse, the famous chef, say that you should follow the recipe in precise detail at least one time before you start making your own modifications. But, this is America, unless I am being identified by Google, it would be Canada, therefore, in either country you can do it your way, no matter what, period, end of story. Got it? Right? Eh? I know you will be proud of me. I actually made a little detour this past Wednesday morning to make sure I wouldn't have to drive through a little water on the road. It added 15 minutes to my commute but even my mom had reminded me that I should follow the advice of my eldest to not drive my little old flivver through water of any depth. See there? I do listen sometimes. Surprised you, didn't I? Now it is time to wrap this up for this week and move on down the road. I do hope you will have a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday where we will be celebrating Father's Day. If there's still anything at all left to talk about come Monday, I'll try to show up here at my regular haunt. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: