Wednesday, June 3, 2015

"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ― Aristotle

Today I am going to talk about criticism. That's right. Critical comments about my blogs. I know. That's a startling thought on this Wednesday, June 3, 2015, but, it is a part of life, and if you do business in the public domain, well, get ready, because folks will not always agree with you. As I have told you before, I don't know all the different ways that people land on my blog or why they land on my blog but I do know I'm closing in on 145,000 page views since starting this daily writing exercise. This past April a young fellow living in the wilds of Alaska took great exception to a quote I used from President Thomas Jefferson, "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." I had used that quote as the title of my blog back in October of last year. He somehow happened upon it in April and he used some very coarse language to express his disagreement with that statement. I looked at his blogs and his webpage. He is a fellow who likes to paint murals on dumpsters and writes a lot about philosophical ideas. When it is all said and done, he would really need to take it up with Thomas Jefferson who I believe was very much correct in his assessment regarding the need to keep both criminals and government in check.

I've also shared how that I believe the most common way that folks land on my blogs is when they are searching for some particular subject or even more likely an image of some type. I use a lot of images, therefore, they end up seeing one of mine in their returned hits. I have stuff like that happen to me all the time. I end up reading about something that I was not even looking for because it showed up and it looked interesting. Many of the comments I've received over the years have either agreed with my theological representations or they have challenged them based on their particular religious ideology. Others have expressed identity with my homespun view of my growing up, looking back, and other nostalgic subjects that I have shared. The blog I wrote that caught the Alaska guy's attention was about the danger in blindly trusting our government. In that blog I used specific examples where our government had abused the trust of the people. When I went back and re-read that particular blog I was glad to see that I included a paragraph and an image that could have been a form of witness to him. Here it is from October 14, 2014:

Go back and read the quote I have used in the title for today's blog. It may take a time or two to get what Thomas Jefferson had in mind. It's not the fostering of an anti-government spirit, but rather, it's doing our best to operate based on an appreciation for the facts. And that's my take. I'll let you think about that as I move on to other things that are also important. Things like our families, our work, our daily goals and objectives, and our doing of our best with God's help to live in a way that honors Him and serves others. Knowing the truth does not mean we live lives that are dominated by fear and foreboding. Knowing the truth means we live out our faith because God is ultimately in control and we belong to Him, therefore, if He be for us, who can be against us? That should encourage us all even as we make our way forward in a messed up world. Amen.  ....More later.

That was only a little over a month ago, so join me in praying that God would use the witness of Himself as represented by the truths He has revealed to us to cause this young man to look to Him for answers pertaining to life. God can do more than we can imagine using whatever means He chooses. ("Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us,..." Ephesians 3:20) Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: