Monday, June 22, 2015

"Confession of errors is like a broom which sweeps away the dirt and leaves the surface brighter and clearer. I feel stronger for confession." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I do want to send out a shout out and a prayer of thanksgiving for our eldest and his bride, Chris and Sherrie, as they celebrated their 29th wedding anniversary this past Saturday. We pray God's richest blessings on them as they continue their journey together. Amen.

I figured it out. It turned out not to be a conspiracy after all. In fact, they were not messing with my mind. It was little ole me all along. I'm talking about the Google mix up on my nationality. I use the Google Advanced Search as my default. Somehow I had gotten the Google Advanced Search Canada plugged in instead of the one connected to the USA. Please accept my sincere apology to all those who are big Google fans out there. It wasn't them. It was me. Me beginning with a confession is becoming a habit. At least I didn't lie about cutting down the cherry tree. Today's blog comes to you live and already in progress on this back to work Monday, June 22, 2015. The technical explanation is a little more involved. I had accidentally replaced my default search engine with one provided by my virus protection software. They are always trying to get add ons installed. I must not have read the little pop up and when I said yes they went for it. They installed their own little search engine utility which I did ask for but I didn't want to ask for it. But, obviously, I was supposed to just say no, but, I missed it. One little keystroke. Then: BAM! They also make it difficult for you to uninstall since after all is said and done you did say yes. In my efforts to get back to my own way of operating I accidentally picked up the Canadian default and that's how all of that happened. But, finally, it is now straight and I can back off using the Canadian jokes. I'm just glad they didn't send me some kind of tax bill from Calgary. You do know what I mean? Eh?

Hacking has become commonplace. The other day the folks being grilled by Congress on the compromised information for government employees tried to spread the pain by mentioning all the private companies that have been hacked by outside intruders. They mentioned several including Target and Home Depot. Smoke screens. Anything for cover. But, it is a real problem. Last week we found out the FBI is investigating the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team for hacking into the Houston Astros protected database. The St. Louis Cardinals? You've got to be kidding. They portray themselves as the protectors of the integrity of major league baseball. One of their high level executives was hired by Houston. This made the Cardinals unhappy. Very unhappy. While it is still being investigated, enough has come out to reveal whoever hacked into the Astro's records were able to gain access to scouting information and player evaluations. Why would one of the most successful teams in the modern era want to mess around with the private information of a traditionally mostly unsuccessful franchise? Revenge. Sabotage. Who knows? It just goes to show you. Soon those folks being grilled can add this one to their pass-the-buck list.

I am so glad I was able to run over to Louisiana last Saturday to wish dad a happy Father's Day. He is a remarkable man who has serving others running in his veins. He may not be my biological daddy but he is my real dad in every sense of the word. We do thank God for him. Amen. Since mom's little laptop went belly up I carried a new system over and installed it for them. I was a little anxious about it since I typically carry a technician along with me, like my eldest, or my grandson. I know what some of you are thinking. All those years of direct management involvement in computing and telecommunications and I end up not being very technically inclined? 100% correct Bucko! Being good at management does not necessarily mean you are good at being a technician. Knowing what you are good at and sticking to that is a pretty good way to make it in life. But, I did get it going and I know she is very happy with her new little system. One problem. I set it up on our kitchen table at home first. Now we will be getting one for 'you know who' as a coming attraction. "It's so clear." "I just love it." Fortunately, they are not so pricey anymore. Well, that's my story for a Monday. Y'all take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: