Friday, February 6, 2015

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” ― Aristotle


New York commuter train crashes into car, killing at least 7 via

That is correct. I am on Twitter. I follow twenty-eight different twitter feeds, nearly all of them are news oriented. The tweet above illustrates something that bugs me a little. There are times when the reporters rightfully need to report some very gut wrenching and often very sad news. It may be just me but it's hard to grab hold of some scary bit of news with a smiling face glaring at you. I know. I know. The photo accompanies their Twitter account but it just seems out of place to me. That was something that was bothering me so I thought I would share it to get our day started on this Friday, February 6, 2015. Yes, I am aware that it is very easy to criticize. Theodore Roosevelt had this to say: "It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things." I couldn't agree more but since my visits with you are mostly just sharing, I do think pet peeves are fair game. I'm not saying folks should have a sad face to go along with their sad subjects but it was something I noticed as being peculiar to me. It may be the close proximity of the face to the story. Just me. Sharing. No one else. Just me.

Have you ever gone into an establishment, in this case a restaurant, and the service was so good it made you wonder if maybe you were dreaming? I think we all have been conditioned over time to expect mediocrity when it comes to service. The wife and I were in a food establishment and the fellow waiting on us was very impressive. He knew what to say and he knew how to say it. I was thinking maybe we were being filmed or something and it might be some sort of prank. I noticed him waiting on a table near us. Exactly the same. We enjoyed the meal but we talked as much about the young man and his making everything so nice. Sure. He did get a big tip and while that might be a part of his motivation, his excellent attitude showed up big time and we appreciated it. The other day I was in a business where many people were waiting to pick up items in Will Call. The lady working that part of the area was about as pleasant and professional as anyone I have seen lately. She was engaging but also efficient. She had a smile and a bounce in her step. You got the idea that she was glad to be there and very pleased to be assisting those who had purchased items from their company. Isn't it interesting how a good attitude makes everyone involved to have a better day? It's not something I see everyday but it's very much appreciated. 

I often wonder why, after all these years, that I still stop on the 'Andy Griffith Show' when I am flipping around looking for something to watch. I've seen every episode more than once and there's no telling how many times I've seen some of them. Yet, they still have an appeal. One of the things that the late Andy Griffith said was how that the comedy was different in that it didn't come from telling jokes to each other, it came out of ordinary circumstances in life. Sheriff Taylor was the original designated funny man but when Don Knotts showed up as Deputy Fife, well, he became the focal point of the comedy, and Sheriff Taylor played the straight man. What came out of this duo is some of the best family wholesome entertainment ever envisioned. Andy thought the best example of why the show was funny could be seen in this dialogue between Sheriff Taylor and Barney. This was the show where Barney had saved up $300 and was ready to buy him a car. ~ Barney: The last big buy I made was my mom's and dad's anniversary present. Andy: What'd ya get `em? Barney: A septic tank. Andy: For their anniversary? Barney: They're awful hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they can use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced. Andy: You're a fine son, Barn. Barney: I try. ~ In my way of looking at it, it's hard to improve on stuff like that. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll be on the lookout for something to share come next Monday morning. May God bless one and all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: