Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"Time is a game played beautifully by children." ~ Heraclitus, Greek Philosopher, 535 BC – 475 BC

Time marches on. At least that's what they tell me and I have reason to believe, based on first hand experience, that this is a true statement. There's plenty of songs over the years that express that sentiment as well. It's Wednesday, February 18, 2015, and since I have no paint at the moment to watch it dry I thought I would talk about time and how it changes us. Last Sunday the wife and I sang a duet during the worship time at our local fellowship. One of the teenagers told her grandmother that we made a cute couple. The grandmother told us about that and it seemed to perk up the wife in particular and she commented that it had probably been a while since we had been called a cute couple. I told her that maybe we should go back to those days when we wore matching sweaters. She may have grunted but I got the idea that maybe that would be moving in the wrong direction. The photo above is of three fellows, school yard buddies and playmates, if you will. The top row was made in 1956 when the three of us were in Mrs. Fitts' 5th Grade Class. The bottom row was made last November at our 50th high school reunion. Time marches on. The wife said that had I not been wearing the beard I probably would have looked the best of all of them. Hello? I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess it's like we've always heard, it's better to Ho-Ho-Ho than to cry. Or something like that.

So the story goes like this. There was this preacher fellow who had a particular issue with alcohol. He preached against it and found a way to include his disdain for it nearly every time he was in his pulpit. While most of the congregation agreed with him, there were some who thought his focus on that one activity was way over done. They concocted a plan. They had a little party and invited the preacher. They served up some fine food and also included some melon balls. Those melon balls were delicious but they had also been soaked in a strong fruit brandy. The preacher really enjoyed those melon balls. The folks who had invited him were delighted to see him picking out the seeds and putting them in his pocket. They thought that was real funny. But, maybe he just wanted some souvenirs. I read another little ditty where the older person was telling their friend they couldn't figure out why their kids get all hot and bothered when she asked them to come over to her house and take a selfie of her. I'll let you think about that one for a while.

No. I don't think it's a slow news day. But, I've found that my commentaries dealing with current affairs are best doled out in small dosages with some distance between them. And, it's good to remember that one of the keys to leadership is to look back now and then to see if anyone is following. (I understand that was an even more critical issue when one was leading the Calvary into battle.) I've worked with a few folks during my sojourn who really thought of themselves as being a great leader. They really did. Unfortunately, what they thought does not answer the question. Results. And, the thoughts of those being led because that's where the results come from. My mom who is 90 was telling me about how they had went out to eat with some long time friends. She said while they love them dearly she's not sure it's a good idea to do it anymore. Even though they all wear hearing aids, she explained that dad and his buddy cannot hear or understand each other. And, she and her dear friend cannot hear or understand each other. I thought the fact that they still went to dinner together, even with those limitations, was a pretty neat thing. If only I had not had the beard. Who knows? Y'all have yourself a wonderful day and may our Great God add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: