Wednesday, February 25, 2015

“Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen.” ― Willa Cather, (1873-1947), Pulitzer prize winning author who wrote novels about frontier life.

"I woke up this morning feeling fine, I woke up with heaven on my mind." Those are lyrics from a well worn Southern Gospel standard, but, when you think about it, that's a pretty good way to wake up. What say you on this Wednesday, February 25, 2015? I'm glad you took the time to stop by today. I suppose one of the ways I became interested in story telling was from the rub off I got when I saw others practicing the art. I heard many a tale standing outside of the Church building where the fellows were getting the last puff or two from their cigarette or pipe. Many times the lead line would be, "Did you hear about?" Then there would be the retort, "That ain't nothing, let me tell you about..." Then there was that bunch who hung out at the downtown barbershop. (Downtown is definitely a figure of speech here because there wasn't much to it.) Some of them pretty much hung out there all day long like that was their job. My grandfather's assessment of those fellows was pretty harsh: "Not fit to kill." They also did a lot of story telling. Then there was the hardware store and it had a heater in the corner where you could hear some good ones. I mostly was a listener because it wasn't proper for younger folks to speak when the older ones were telling their tales. Come to think about it, I can't recall very many young guys, if any, beside myself, who spent any of their time standing around listening to all that stuff. Maybe that's what's wrong with me. You do know I've been trying to figure that one out for a long time.

Okay. Most of you know that the world we live in is in a pretty big mess. This is not a pessimistic half-empty view, it's reality for everyone to see. Wars and rumors of wars permeate the news. The reason I mention this is because of several people asking me if I thought the current state of affairs were connected to the Biblical descriptions of end time events. Much of these inquiries have to do with Israel and how that it seems the world, including the leaders of our nation, are slowly but surely opposing the Jewish state. My answer is this: Yes, and I don't know. I believe we have been living in the last days since Jesus ascended back into heaven. It was then that the angelic declaration rang clear: "They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11) Therefore, every single day puts us closer. These recent developments certainly point us to the truth that God does have a timetable. I think it to be a good thing that we recognize all events as being a part of His plan, in one way or another. There is some good news here. The Apostle Peter answered the skeptics who mockingly challenged the prophesied calamitous end of all things. Here's how he put it in perspective: "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9) As the song says there is still room at the cross for any and all who will come. Amen.

Okay. Now it's time for me to do a flash back 'I told you so' reminder. Back during the Clinton administration, our nation cast an official vote in the United Nations Security Council against Israel for the first time in our history. I made the comment that once there was a first time, this made it possible for more to come. Look at the progression since then and make up your own mind. This is why we should always be ready, and always be looking up, for our redemption will one day, (in the twinkling of an eye), be realized in its ultimate fulness. What a day that will be! These inquiries made to me have been within the last few weeks which tells us that all current events or under the Sovereign control of our Great God. Believe me, while I love observing and telling stories, the truth is that which God has revealed to us, and we can always count on it. Period: Beginning, during, and at the end of the story! Now that you have my input on these times that we are living in, let's get out there and make this day count for time and eternity. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: