Thursday, February 5, 2015

"Humans and weather are the two most upredictable things in life." (copied, but unattributed)

Some people can be quite funny. Just because we flirted with highs in the low 80's last week, we had some people new to the area asking if our winter was over for this season. Now that's a good one. My response: Wait until mid April and I'll give you a more definitive answer. Maybe this past Sunday was a down payment for their learning. We topped out at a 77 balmy degrees Sunday afternoon and woke up to a stiff wind Monday morning. I arrived at work to deal with a 36 degree reading and with the wind howling it produced a feels like of 28. Hey, I know it's all over the page but I'll take it any day compared to the huge front end loaders scraping up snow that we see in other places. With that as a lead in, I bid you welcome once again for our visit, here on this Thursday, February 5, 2015. I'm glad I haven't put up my winter clothes yet. That's a joke. I actually only add a jacket and maybe switch out my cap for one of those wool beanie/toboggan thingies when it's really cold. Except for some short sleeve shirts, the rest of the time my wardrobe is about the same, year round. I've never been one to worry too much about what the fellows here at work might think if they see me wearing white after Labor Day. If you don't have a clue about that one, well, ask your parents or maybe your grandparents.

Our youngest, Mr. Rodney, he posted on Facebook the number one song in the country when he was born and mentioned the irony. It was one by the Osmonds, 'One Bad Apple'. That caused me to try and figure out the big song from when I was born. That was way back in 1946 so it took some research. The one that was topping the charts back then was a tune entitled 'To Each His Own' by a singer named Freddy Martin. There's more. That particular song was recorded by five different groups and all of them charted in 1946. At least two of them hit number one. I've read through the lyrics and it is a very romantic tune. Coming out of the war years I can see why it may have been popular. It was pretty mushy stuff. Here's an example from the chorus: ~If a flame is to grow there must be a glow, To open each door there's a key, I need you, I know, I can't let you go, Your touch means too much to me~ That might explain a lot. No wonder I fell so hard for that sweet little gal nicknamed 'Lil Bit'. You know the one I'm talking about, the one with the angelic face. Come to think about it, I believe that tune just might be the one you hear every time you accidentally land on the Hallmark Channel. Don't get all hot and bothered. It's just a joke and I made myself laugh again.

I'm not against the Hallmark Channel. And, I never actually protested against Muzak, you know, the elevator music you heard nearly everywhere you went. That was back in the day. The Hallmark Channel reminds me of Muzak. But, I only use the Hallmark Channel as a foil or a prop. It's a type of literary device, hopefully done in good taste for a good purpose. Produce a smile now and then. No. I am not attempting to elevate my writing to a level of it passing itself off as literature. I'm just explaining the rationale behind the joke about that mindless mush they play over and over and over again on that certain channel. Joking again. Sorry. Just illustrating my point. That 1946 song says to each his own and I wonder if that is similar to the thought that says it is what it is. I'll try to figure that one out and get back to you later. Meanwhile, enjoy the day. Thank God for it along with the blessings that He has bestowed on us all. I'll leave you with this little Irish ditty as a way of saying farewell for today: ~ May God grant you always... A sunbeam to warm you, A moonbeam to charm you, A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you. ~ Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: