Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"No matter what your heartache may be, laughing helps you forget it for a few seconds." The late Red Skelton, famous comedian

Hello and welcome. I'm stewing up something here. You can count on it. We find ourselves parked in this spot and it's marked Tuesday, February 10, 2015. The other day when I shared with you the song that was popular on the day I was born, well, that has stirred some interest. I received a request from you know who and she wanted to know exactly what song was on top on the day that she was born. I did the research. I found the information. I called her and told her that she should always be careful what she asks for. She wanted to know. I dutifully reported my findings: On April 23, 1947, the number one song in the USA was a tune presented by Ted Weems and his orchestra. It was written in 1931 but not made popular until 1947. The title: 'Heartaches'. I even found a sign to go along with that theme. I'm not saying it would be her sign, just, a sign. Any further comments or conclusions regarding this matter would not seem to be in order. And, as I have always heard, discretion is the better part of valor. I know she will be glad to know that I didn't mention the different times while we were dating that she made me painfully aware of the title of her birth song. But, I find it unproductive to even think about mentioning it here. Can anyone see her? Is she smiling? Or not?

I listened to an expert the other day describing how people decide if something is true or not. While empirical data does influence to a certain extent, preconceived notions typically are the most influential. He gave as one example the recent allegations about cheating charged against the New England Patriots football team. He said a majority across the country believed there might be something to it. However, in and around the Boston area it was overwhelmingly rejected as being either trumped up or based on jealousy. They had their minds made up. He went on to say that if someone really dislikes a particular politician, they are, by a large margin, typically inclined to believe any slanderous charge made against them. I thought about this way of viewing things when I listened to a call the other day on the black radio talk station. The caller said he had studied the Superbowl outcome closely. And, he had some conclusions. His thinking said that Russel Wilson is a young black quarterback. He's been in the league for three years and this is already his second Superbowl. In this game, he as a black man was on the verge of greatness, but, a white head coach, and a white offensive coordinator called a play that robbed this young black quarterback of his opportunity to enjoy the greatness he deserved. That assessment even left the host stunned. About all he could say is, "Come on man!" The other thing the expert mentioned was how that we easily recognize this ridiculous trait in others while ignoring it in ourselves. I thought it was a good reminder for us all of how easy it is for our foregone conclusions to play against our need to objectively seek out and weigh the facts. Something to think about.

I guess you heard the people who make Smuckers jams and jellies are attempting to buy out a mega pet products company. I heard a business reporter making a joke that I thought was amusing. He wondered if the Smuckers commercial would now say, "With a name like Kibbles and Bits, it better taste good!" Okay already. I didn't say it would bring forth an uncontrollable outburst. But you could humor me with at least a chuckle. Last Friday was Go Red for Women Day. Everyone was supposed to wear read in support of heart healthy behavior for women. While I didn't get the memo and I didn't know anything about the promotion, I ended up wearing a red shirt and a red cap. I suppose being in the know by accident makes everyone think I am on board and up to date. When I opened up Twitter Friday morning it was nothing but a sea of photos of people with their red on. I felt right at home but it took me a while to figure out why. The story of my life I suppose and I am still trying to figure it out. Not the red. I got that one. My life. Joking only. I think. Take care and have a good rest of the day. May God bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: