Monday, February 16, 2015

"I walk on untrodden ground. There is scarcely any part of my conduct which may not hereafter be drawn into precedent." ~ George Washington, founding father and first President of the United States of America

Good morning. I welcome you to the President's Day episode here on this Monday, February 16, 2015. Being the President of these United States is no easy job. Today we can all be thankful for our founding President, George Washington. (His actual birth date was February 22.) From all that I have read, he really did believe in God's hand of providence in helping our nation to get its start. He and his legacy has somehow been able to weather the critics who have pretty much done everything they could do to try and tarnish his reputation. Today's special emphasis on our form of leadership in our country gives each of us an opportunity to pause and pray. This is the Word of the Lord to us: "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity." (1st Timothy 2:1-2, New Living Translation) I can assure you that when the Apostle Paul wrote that to his young helper Timothy, those ruling over the people were not even close to being Godly, yet, God wanted those called by His name to pray for them. That should encourage us all to do the same, not only today, but on a continuing basis.

I recently read a posting from a dear man who is married to his young wife and mother of their children who is undergoing cancer treatments. He has written quite a lot about their experiences and has penned a book documenting their journey. His recent posting was one where he was doing some introspection. He was questioning himself. His stated goal throughout the process is that God would receive any and all honor and glory. He was trying to ferret out any of his own personal motivations that might not be in keeping with that goal. Things like, 'Did I really want to be thought of as a good writer? Did I want to be recognized? Was it truly all about Him?' Those were some gut wrenching questions. I, at times, have some questions of my own. The other day I saw four pages of Google hits where my blogs were referenced by others. Many had just the images I had used and they had stated my blog as the source. A number had used a portion of my writing that attempted to make a spiritual point. Some of these were from far flung places like India and the Philippines. While I might question my own motives, this thought came to me: If God can speak through a donkey, (and He can and He did), then He certainly can use something that reflects His truth, (even if it came from me), to accomplish His purpose and He can do this in whatever way He chooses. (You can read about the donkey in the Book of Numbers, Chapter 22)

I do want my writings to honor the Lord. I also want to bring a smile as I share my views on life and talk about my experiences along the way. There's also all the other stuff I write about. Maybe I don't really have an overarching goal in mind. It may be a hodgepodge of all of the above. At any rate, there's a whole bunch of them cataloged with today being the 1,983rd edition. That puts me 17 away from 2000 and once we get there I will try to figure out if I have worn out my welcome with all the stuff I've slung on the electronic page for these nearly eight years. But, we will see about that when the time comes. Until then, I must be thinking about number 1984 which will be the next coming attraction. As always, I do appreciate those who follow along with me. If it comes off like I think my life has been rather remarkable, well, it's the only one I have, so I suppose to me it is. And, since the number one song on the day I was born was 'To Each His Own', maybe it all fits. Or maybe not. Or, maybe: Who cares? I know someone who does. He cares for us all and I hope you will join me in thanking Him for His love, mercy, grace, and His daily watching over us. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: