Friday, February 13, 2015

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." The late Charles M. Schulz, beloved cartoonist who did the Peanuts Comic Strip

Good morning folks. It's Friday, February 13, 2015, the day where most of our little ones will be handing out little cards to their fellow class members. I shudder to even think about it. I can remember doing that when I was a kid. Handing a little girl a card that asked her to be my Valentine caused my little flushed red cheeks which I wore everyday to glow like the aftermath of an atomic explosion. I'm not sure those activities were good for my development but I can remember that most of the girls had no problem participating. And, to add insult to injury, I do believe they enjoyed my glowing face. No wonder I'm so messed up. As it relates to my own beloved Valentine, well, I never get tired of telling people about my love for her. We've been together officially for 50 years and dated for nearly 3 before we married. Had I met her any earlier she would have been one of those little girls I was handing out cards to. Don't worry, she's seen that glow plenty of times. The night I asked her dad's permission to marry her was one of them and then our wedding night. We were all crammed together into the living room of that tiny parsonage with standing room only. It was very cold outside and they had the wood stove cranked up. I was nervous already but when I get too hot, well, even in the old 8 millimeter film I look like my face could explode at any moment. The bottom line is how these were all worth it and today I continue to consider myself to be the most blessed man on the face of the earth. Amen.

Fortunately, they didn't make us do square dancing in the school I attended. I may not have been here today had they laid that requirement on me.You thought I was much more well rounded than that? Think again Bucko! But, we get to where we are and we deal with it as best we can. And, yes, I am thankful for the things that God has helped me to overcome or to accomplish as I have made my journey through life. I could fill in so many blanks that begin with: I would have never thought that I could have _______________. There may have been times when I wrongly thought it was because of how wonderful I was. Thankfully, God has allowed me to understand clearly that He and He alone has been the source of my ability to function in the life He has given to me. This means that when we are able to achieve or use a talent or ability, then God gets the glory. The writer of the earliest text in the New Testament dated perhaps before AD 50, the Book of James, the likely half brother of our Lord, he was inspired to say this: "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." (James Chapter 1, Verse 17, quoted from the New American Standard Bible) But, don't ask me to square dance because that's not one of the gifts I've been given.

This has been an interesting week. I've had afternoons where the air conditioning was needed. I've had mornings where the heater was required. I've driven in some fog so dense that I really was, at times, concerned if I was going to make my destination. I did make it and I am thankful. It took a while for the white to leave my knuckles from gripping the steering wheel. They are expecting more snow up in the Boston area. They already have had over five feet in the last two weeks and are now anticipating up to two more with a couple of new storms coming in. That reminds me of their neighbor New York City, home of the liberal voice of the world, the New York Times. Last February that noted bastion of progressive thought ran an article stating that because of climate change we would be experiencing the end of snow. I just hope the folks up there in that region who are digging out have some of those old newspapers to help get the fire started in their fireplaces. I'm just passing through and looking here and there, and making a few comments along the way. I sure wish everyone a wonderful Valentines Day tomorrow and a great Lord's Day Sunday where we can gather to show love to He who is love. (1st John 4:8) Take care folks and I will commit to doing my very best to show up next time. May God bless us all. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: