Thursday, July 24, 2014

“The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, never say a word, then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation that you ever had.” (Unattributed)

Good to see you today. I've just finished brewing myself another cup of that wonderful joy juice, aka Community Cafe' Special Medium-Dark Roast, therefore I am thinking about being ready to get ready for this brand new day. I do hope that wherever you happen to be that you too are ready for the one we have before us, that would be Thursday, July 24, 2014. It's nice to sit out here on the front porch of the ole blogger ranch. Yes, I am aware that for the purpose of our visit it's only a virtual porch and it only exists in a virtual world. However, sitting and visiting with folks on the porch does reflect a true reality to me, even if it only still exists in my memory bank. I have no way of knowing just how much I learned sitting on the porch with family and friends. Yes. I am fully aware that those kinds of things existed before we were slaves to the our technologically driven world. Think about it. Why sit down and visit face to face with anyone whenever all you have to do is shoot them a text? An email? Or leave them a voice message? Think about the convenience factor. Right? Why sit and listen to stories first hand whenever you can just Google one up if you want to? Right? To tell you the truth, I really do miss those porch styled meet ups where folks talk, laugh, and perhaps even share a tear or two. I know. I know. That's considered old fuddy-duddy talk today, but, I don't mind that as an accusation. In fact, I'll wear that one with pride.

Sometimes people may think that I live in a completely imaginary world. That is kind of scary because it makes me wonder how they found out. Just kidding. Folks, no matter what time period we grew up in, lived in, or where our experiences are located, there is no perfect world in this life, period. Do we typically see things from our past with corrective lenses at work? Most likely we do, however, that doesn't mean that I am unaware that the good old days also included plenty of not so good stuff. I'm also very much tuned into the great progress that has been achieved through technological innovation. God has allowed us to live at a time when there's huge leaps forward in medical knowledge and know how. I am thankful for these great blessings. Where I think we look back with a longing is when we consider the quality of life. We've lived long enough to know that it's not found in things, no matter how fancy they might be. It's found in knowing God and in loving others and it just seems that those used to be somewhat easier to experience, back in the day, you know, as they say.

Okay. Enough of that dodging of the ruts in our walk down memory lane. We all enjoy a funny story now and then. I read this one the other day. It was reported to be true. "A speeding motorist caught by a roadside camera tried to play a little joke when police sent him a speeding ticket. The notice included a photograph of the car, the date, the speed, and demanded payment of a fine. The motorist sent back a picture of a check. Police sent back a photograph of handcuffs. The motorist got the message and mailed the real check. The story appeared in countless papers, bringing laughter to its readers." Most funny things in life reflect on just that...life itself. We laugh quite a bit in our Bible study time. That's right folks. We do. It's mostly because I often share little personal stories that reflect upon the sojourn of the wife and I along life's way. I like the fact that we can all laugh, and, it is especially good if she is laughing too. I know. Some don't want to be in a Bible class where people would ever even think about laughing. Sorry. There's even some Bible accounts that are pretty funny. It's also pretty clear to me that our Savior enjoyed a good laugh while He was roaming around here and there with His guys. (What about that story He told about the guy trying to get the splinter out of the other fellow's eye when his vision was marred by a log sticking out of his own eye?) I know. Too bad you don't have one of those old fashioned hooks to get me off the stage. But, you do! It's called the delete key. Find something to smile about and then share it with others. May God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: