Thursday, July 17, 2014

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hello and welcome once again to my amusement center world where we find rides that we get on with no idea where they are going and what we might be in for as we travel along. It's Thursday, July 17, 2014, and I want to thank you for being here, you know, on this page, on this day. I am well aware that on some days, especially as it relates to the political world, I can come across as being just a tad discombobulated. I have no idea why but I love that word discombobulated. Meanwhile back at the ranch, I am acutely aware that many other people see it entirely differently. I heard a fellow call in the other day and he was nearly in tears because of what he saw as a conspiracy intended to bring down and destroy the first black President in our history. He interpreted every aspect of the problems we face through the lens of racial animosity. To me, that's not even close. But, I respect his right to view it that way. And, by the way, the President and his team, and especially his Attorney General, are actually promoting that theory. They know what they are doing and that gentleman who called in shows that it is working. I also know there are some who might oppose based on skin color but I just happen to think that number is not very large at all. This is an arena where results are the test of effectiveness. I completely agree with the President's assessment that he inherited a huge mess. However, he wanted it and said that he would fix it. My belief is that he has not fixed it, and, in fact, on just about every imaginable front things remain broken or worse than they were when he took over. That has to do with leadership, policies, and management. It's up to each individual to weigh these matters and make up their own mind. And, my sincere hope is that this will be done without consideration for anyone's race, creed, or color. As our President has so often said, "This is what elections are about."

Dot and Lil Bit
The wife is making preparation to leave me again. Early tomorrow morning she and 21 other folks, most from our local fellowship, are headed out to Del Rio, Texas to do a mission outreach project. Her twin sister, born 18 months ahead of her, will be going also. I think they may have deserved the dynamic duo moniker more than Batman and Robin. They are glued together and they know how to minister to others as a team. Myself and my late brother-in-law were first in line for God's best on the day we connected up with these two girls. That was over 50 years ago and the one thing that stands out to me is the consistency of their devotion to God, family, and their willingness to serve. That doesn't mean it has been one long happy-go-lucky tip toe through the tulips. We've had our ups and downs. Her sister is now a widow. Yet, we are able to pause and offer up thanks to almighty God for His provision, and to seek His best as they along with the entire team go in search of touching the lives of men, women, boys and girls, with the message of the Gospel. As for me, the left behind fellow, well, I get to be in charge of the services on Sunday. What a scary thought. I also get to be in charge of me. Now we are talking very scary. Prayers are appreciated.

I am thankful for those who came up with this outreach project that will provide direct assistance to our missionaries from that area. A project like that is not just thrown together. A huge amount of planning has gone into it. In fact, I even helped with the Vacation Bible School, VBS, crafts materials preparation. That's right. Try to envision me with a pair of scissors cutting out circles and little lamb's heads. There were about 20 of us at the Church Monday evening working on this stuff. My work was singled out for special attention. Slow. You got it. I finally earned the slow man working sign. But what would one expect? I cannot even begin to imagine the last time I cut out items like that. I can tell you this. There was a tremendous amount of laughing going on and a whole lot of love shared. I actually showed up thinking there was going to be a meeting but ended up on the scissor cutting brigade. My point? Many times folks, it is really about the small things. Those little VBS packets will be used to communicate the love of Jesus to children and we already know that some of them will give their heart and life to Him. And, that, my friend, will be of value that transcends silver and gold because it will last throughout all eternity. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: