Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Prophetic Words: "The White House isn't the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, and the economic future of the next generation." ~ Joe Biden, (August, 2008)

By every indication I have here at my disposal I am able to discern that today is Tuesday, July 29, 2014, and, I'm glad you dropped by. I do hope you are off to a good start or maybe just a running start will do. And, as I've heard all my life, if you are able to put both feet on the floor and get up and go each day, well, you have something to be thankful for. And, I would add my Amen to that. I don't think former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright reads my blogs but she was recently quoted as saying this: "The world is a mess." I thought I had said that first but let's face it, it doesn't take a whole lot of insight to observe and then come up with that assessment. Having allowed this mess to develop, the powers that be are left asking what I believe to be a strange question, "What would you have us to do?" Okay. I'm from the country. I'm not that bright. But that question sounds both out of place and a little late if you ask me. It reflects the proverbial desire to close the gate after all the cows have left the barn. When America becomes weak in whatever form that takes, our adversaries will react accordingly. The mainstream press can circle the wagons all they want but the reality is one where our foreign policy influence, especially as a deterrent to bad actors, is pretty much a thing of the past. What is the result? The former state department head has it right on the money: "The world is a mess."

I wrote that little assessment so that everyone would know that while I admit to living in a perpetual world of distraction, I'm still paying attention. Just trying to keep everyone honest, and informed. We all have fears in life. I just never thought it would include the water bill. They've come up with a new system in our area. It's one where they keep reducing the minimum amount permitted while they keep raising the price. In addition, if you go over the minimum, well, you might as well sign over your house. They are, however, attempting to work with everyone. They sent out a notice that pretty much said this about watering your yard: Let it die! Well, they don't believe it will die, but it will look dead, however, they think that when it does rain, sometime in the future, it will come back. I'm trying to think of how many times we've had to do a total re-sodding of our place and the many major grass planting repairs we've done along the way. But, they may not be giving bad advice when you consider the monthly bill for those who do water and how they arrive in the mail in a solid gold envelope. I do know that we need to conserve. With 7 billion folks clamoring for the natural resources, well, they do need to be used efficiently. Yet, somehow, seeing all those water department employees driving brand new cars does make me wonder. That's a joke. Mostly.

I'm known for having a good memory, at least by those who think that of me. I can tell you this. It's no longer the one I was acquainted with a number of years ago. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for whatever functional capability God has given to me including my ability to remember. It, like everything else, is in deterioration mode. However, staying focused and knowing about it is better than crying over spilled milk. Here's a little funny poem to end our time together because when it is all said and done, you might as well laugh as to cry.

I Can't Remember
    by Anonymous

Just a line to say I'm living
that I'm not among the dead,
Though I'm getting more forgetful
and mixed up in my head

I got used to my arthritis
to my dentures I'm resigned,
I can manage my bifocals
but oh how I miss my mind

For sometimes I can't remember
when I stand at the foot of the stairs,
If I must go up for something
or have I just come down from there?

And before the fridge so often
my poor mind is filled with doubt,
Have I just put food away, or
have I come to take some out?

And there's a time when it is dark
with my nightcap on my head,
I don't know if I'm retiring, or
just getting out of bed

So, if it's my turn to write you
there's no need for getting sore,
I may think I have written
and don't want to be a bore

So, remember that I love you
and wish that you were near,
But now it's nearly mail time
So I must say goodbye, dear

There I stand beside the mail box
with a face so very red,
Instead of mailing you my letter
I opened it instead

With those encouraging words I leave you to your own approach to dealing with life's challenges. Take care. May God bless. See you next time. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: