Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known." George C. Marshall, US General, WW2, and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize

I'm still here. The reports of me missing are somewhat premature. Just joking. You know. It was a take off on the old quote from Mark Twain: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." There is a story behind that quote from Twain or his real name, Samuel Langhorne Clemens if you prefer. I've shared it before but if you missed it, well, dig it up, it's pretty interesting. Meanwhile, I am here and I bid you a warm welcome on this Tuesday, July 22, 2014. I am glad to report that my wife, her sister, and the entire team that went to Del Rio to touch the lives of folks with the Gospel, they are all well and back home. Lives were changed. Those there and those who went on the mission trip. Sadly, the rest of the world is not such a happy place. One of the gut wrenching outcomes from the jetliner that was shot down last week is the response from world leaders. The Dutch, (The Netherlands), lost 193 of their citizens which one commentator said was the equivalent of our loss on 9-11 in terms of percentage of their population. That's huge. However, the headline from their largest news source included this insight, "Mourning but mindful of their ties to Russia..." That, sadly, is the story of our world today. We are outraged that innocent people are blown out of the sky but we have so many financial ties with those who furnished the weapons and the expertise to do this deed, we really can't go overboard in our anger. Does that not sum it all up folks? The bottom line is the money, the natural gas, the so called bottom line. We wouldn't want to upset the flow of goods and services between our nations. Sad. That's all I say. Sad indeed!

And, it looked just like this one!
Waxing philosophical? I'm not sure I know how. I did at one time, however, have much experience waxing cars. That was along time ago. I would spend hours upon hours trying to get that shine to show up as bright and deep as possible. I must have really wanted to protect the car's finish? I'm not sure as a teenager that ever crossed my mind. It was mostly to call attention to myself and my ride. Our eldest loves to detail cars. He does it because he loves cars. He doesn't mind taking one apart to get it in pristine condition. He's loved cars since way before he was able to drive one. I actually think in many ways it's a form of therapy for him. In the process, it somehow became a part of who he is. Today, I'm pretty much into the car wash that comes free with an oil change for my little jalopy. Times do change folks, yes they do! My current mode of transportation is seventeen years young and has 150,000 miles on it. I typically look forward to the print out they give me when they change the oil. It's page after page of recommended things for me to have done to the car. They obviously have not joined the save the trees campaign because they don't mind spitting out the paper. I suppose that should be enough waxing for one day.

I'm not sure if I have ever waxed poetic but I am certain I have never had my body waxed, and, unless something changes dramatically, like maybe my mental condition, I don't see that one as an upcoming event in my life. However, the mental deal may still be up in the air, therefore, it might be best to never say never. I read somewhere that younger women today prefer no hair on their men's bodies. I've seen that young man on the laser hair removal commercial using it on his arm and exclaiming how it saves him the cost of a wax job. Hello? Here's how they would view that back home: If that don't beat all! or: Have you ever in your life heard of anything like that? I might go for removing some of that which has taken root in my ears. It might help me to hear better. You do know that's a joke. Right? I suppose I could use that corny, 'hair today, gone tomorrow', but, since I am addressing a fairly sophisticated audience, I will keep that one for another day. What's that? I can keep it, period. Well, okay then. What's that you say? Maybe the mental deal is worth checking out. Point well taken. Now. Let's get out there and see what we can get done on this day that the Lord has given to us. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: