Thursday, July 3, 2014

Here's something to consider: "Older adults generally have more difficulty adjusting to rising outdoor temperatures than younger people do. As we age, we become less efficient at thermoregulation—the body's ability to keep itself in a healthy temperature range. Plus, older adults are more likely to have conditions such as heart failure, diabetes, heart disease and obesity, which heat can worsen, and take prescription drugs like diuretics, beta blockers, antidepressants and anticholinergics, which can interfere with the ability to cool off and perspire." ~ healthcommunities.com

We are getting some great insights into things we knew about but you have to experience them to get the full impact. I'm talking about waking up and walking outside to 80 plus degrees with the humidity sloshing around everywhere. You first have to get the breathing thing down. It's important. I would even be in for watching some of that Curling on ice competition if I thought it would make me feel cooler. Maybe not. However, as they say, this is the area's weather pattern for summer and it's where we chose to live, therefore, this is how it works. We at one time were said to be the most air conditioned geographical area on the planet based on square footage but I've not heard about that in years. At any rate, we find ourselves fully engaged on this Thursday, July 3, 2014, and I am pleased to visit with you today. I apologize for today's title but was looking for something that reflected upon the hotter weather and breathing, especially in this area where the air is typically saturated with heaviness. I'm thankful that I don't experience these symptoms that often but preparedness is likely part of the reason. Staying well hydrated and knowing your limitations are key. Meanwhile, be thankful for air conditioning and the fact that most of us are not out in the fields working crops every day. And I say Amen to that.

There's nothing like having the big boss around to help everyone stay on their toes. I often frequent an auto parts store on behalf of the company I work for. Most of the people there know me. The other day I walked in and was greeted by a fellow near the front door. He was not a regular there. He wore slacks and had one of those starched shirts like maybe you could have used for personal body armor. He had this huge smile plastered on his face. He greeted me loudly, "Good morning, how are you today?" Suddenly, his greeting triggered an onslaught of howdy howdies from all the rest of the gang. "How you doing sir, good to see you today." "Thanks for coming in." "Great to see you again, how may I help you today?" It was like an echo chamber and I felt like maybe I had walked into one of those old Twilight Zone episodes. These folks are always cordial but not like that. Not so loud. Not with all their dental work showing. But I get it. That's how it works when the District Manager shows up. I prefer the less boisterous but genuine hello, if you ask me. He didn't. He was too busy getting his grin on for that.

I heard that question. Do I always have to notice things and add my commentary? Knowing what's contained in these daily episodes makes it impossible for me to deny the allegation or the alligator. What came first? The observations or the paying attention to stuff so they could be written about? Now you are getting technical. I'm not sure I know how to answer that. I will say that I have been an interested observer for as long as I can remember. An eye for detail, if you will. Add that to a reasonably good memory or at least that's what it was at one time, and you get what you see each day. I enjoy listening to people who can tell stories from their past in vivid detail. The other day while listening to the radio news broadcast from the BBC I heard a 92 year old lady being interviewed about her experiences as a singer and dancer with the first traveling musical presentation of the Broadway hit, "Oklahoma". This was in 1943. Her telling of how America embraced their performances was very interesting. It was a time of war. People saw the musical and were moved by the depiction of our values and the pioneer spirit of our land. At times they had to do wave after wave of encores as people stood and applauded. The performances made it possible for folks to take a much needed time out from the great difficulties being faced at that time. I enjoyed that interview. She was an eyewitness. She was a story teller. That's what I try to be as I go here and there along the highways and byways of life. Or something like that. Now. You can do this. Take care. Thank God. And, have a blessed day. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: