Monday, July 28, 2014

Brain Fog To Do List: Find the to do list I already made. ~ Remember that something else I was supposed to do. ~ Look in the fridge for my coffee mug. ~ Try to remember where I wrote down my passwords. ~ Keep the calendar handy so I know what day it is. ~ Find out if anyone knows if I have already taken my pills. ~ (copied)

Hello and welcome to the very wonderful first day of the rest of your life. It's Monday, July 28, 2014, where I'll just have to tell you it's so hot around these parts, the farmers have started feeding their chickens ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs. No. I don't have to fire my writers. I found that one on the Facebook page of a radio station over in South Carolina. There were others that do not deserve an honorable mention but that never kept me from mentioning them before. One fellow lamented that he was so hot he thought he would drop by his girlfriend's house just to get the cold shoulder. Another farmer talked about being sick and tired of digging up baked potatoes. One person complained that it was so hot his chili peppers out in his garden were sweating up a storm. I know. I know. I either need a vacation or some fresh material. I'm pretty much thankful every day that I am able to still string sentences together. What's that? You often wondered what I called what it is that I do? Good. Now you know. In fact, a lady put up our 5th Grade class photo on Facebook and challenged me to name as many of those 27 kids and one teacher as I could. That was nearly 60 years ago. Best I can remember, the lady who posted that photo always wanted to see me wobble a little. Without any research at all, I got 20 of the kids and the teacher on the first pass. She sent me a note later and said she was embarrassed because I got more of them than she did. I didn't gloat but I will not deny the fact that I enjoyed the teensy weensy victory, and in some ways it felt just like it did back in the olden days. You do know I'm joking. A little. Not much. And, I could probably come up with some of the others if I really put myself to it, but I didn't want to overheat my already aging and dilapidated brain engine.

The wife and I attended an old fashioned Gospel singing last Thursday evening. A fellow we served together with many years ago in Church invited us to come. It was held in a little town about an hour's drive away and there were perhaps 80 folks who showed up. Clearly, 90 percent were seniors and many of them would qualify as advanced seniors. I was telling the wife that I had trouble fitting myself into this grouping. She told me to get over it because that's where we fit. I suppose you learn something every single day. They did some song leading out of the old softback Heavenly Highway Hymns songbook. That was the light tan-nish brown book for those of you who can't recall.  There were many specials. Some of them thrown together and others were well practiced and well presented. The congregation lifted up the rafters with songs like "On the Jericho Road", "There is Power in the Blood", and "I Shall Not Be Moved." Bro. Carl, the man who invited us, is a precious elderly gentleman and he dearly loves to sing. The non gray hairs were also represented in the 10 percent and many of them did a wonderful job presenting their music as well. Obviously the leaders are looking to hand down this great folk Gospel style of participative worship and praise. I can tell you this: It brought back a whole lot of memories for us and it also blessed our hearts.

I do try to make recommendations along life's journey. Here in our area we are being taken over by bicyclers. They are everywhere. I suppose with the big tour competition going on over in France they all feel the need to get out there and enjoy their ride. I don't begrudge them their rightful place on the roadways, however, I have noticed that rednecks in jacked up trucks that look like they are on their way to the try outs for the next Monster Jam, well, they do not take kindly to dudes wearing those little nylon outfits who impede their ability to get on down the road. You know. A little road rage in the making. But back to my little piece of advice. The other day I saw a group of the riding club and the fellow in the lead he was pumping away. Just one problem. He had his mouth wide open. Not only is that not a good look but this is a country road dude and you will certainly catch up with something, sooner, rather than later. Okay. That will do with my ration of observational tidbits for one day. I wish you and yours a blessed day and look forward to the next time when we can visit. May God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: