Wednesday, July 2, 2014

“Have you ever heard the wonderful silence just before the dawn? Or the quiet and calm just as a storm ends? Or perhaps you know the silence when you haven't the answer to a question you've been asked, or the hush of a country road at night, or the expectant pause of a room full of people when someone is just about to speak, or, most beautiful of all, the moment after the door closes and you're alone in the whole house? Each one is different, you know, and all very beautiful if you listen carefully.” ― Norton Juster, from his children's book: The Phantom Tollbooth

Hello and welcome once again to this teenency part of the world, at my little spot here at the ole blogger ranch. It is Tuesday, July 2, 2014 and I'd be mighty proud if you came in and sat for a spell. It's been rather quiet around the home place the last few days. I leave early in the morning and come in late in the afternoon. All quiet. No wife. She left Sunday for a sibling get together over in Louisiana. No one at home but me. Our place is typically bustling with folks going here and there. Our son and his kids have been with us off and on for the past several years. Quiet. Funny how you hear things that you don't typically notice when other folks are around. Houses do their own sound effects. Maybe it too is trying to get adjusted to the quiet. I'm not complaining. If I decide to eat some Oreos with milk there's no one to remind me of my diabetic oath. (Everything in moderation.) What is that chemical in those things that makes one more absolutely necessary? I didn't say I didn't feel guilty but there just wasn't anyone around that could take the stand as an eyewitness. Some things are the same. Not much worth watching on TV. My routine. Call my mom at 9 p.m. and in bed by 9:45 p.m. Listen for a few minutes to a few of those sounds I typically don't hear and then next thing I know it's 3:30 a.m. and time to push the repeat button on another day.

Some might think that makes for a boring existence. Boring is not usually on the agenda in our world. However, to each his own. One man's meat is another man's poison. One man's treasure is another man's trash. One man's dream is another man's nightmare. One man's loss is another man's windfall. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. One man's blog is another man's foolishness. And so it goes. The key is found in being able to experience true contentment. The Apostle Paul said, "But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment." (1 Timothy 6:6). He also said this: "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:12-13) The unnamed writer of Hebrews put it this way: "Your life should be free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5) We all could benefit from paying attention to these great challenges from God's Word. Amen


Of course having quietness does not mean a lack of activity. I did a committee meeting last night at the Church and we have our pot luck supper and Bible study tonight. I'm not saying the activities on the schedule are enough to keep me out of trouble or away from the Oreos. (That's called a tag to a previous theme. I'm sure I will hear more on that subject later.) I think the dog ate my homework has been probably overused. Maybe that's what happened to those missing IRS emails. It was the dog. In my case, the proverbial dog probably will eat up all my best excuses but I do still have some practice time left on the books. If you Google the 'the dog ate my', you will find that after homework, tax receipts is the most frequently mentioned. Who knew? I do know our eldest son and his family have a huge black lab that has proven she will eat just about anything. Anything. Even an empty Oreo package. Okay. Now that we've gotten everything a little better lined out it's time to say take care and may God add His blessings to this day that He has given to us. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: