Friday, January 17, 2014

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'." Erma Bombeck

Whew! I woke up this morning and discovered that it is Friday. That's a little good news for you on this January 17, 2014. Since hardly anyone writes checks anymore, I suppose the transition between one year to the next is no longer as big of a deal as it once was. I can remember, back in the day, always having to check and recheck to see if I had written the year correctly. Now, thanks to the electronic world we live in where 110 million people can have their private information stolen just by shopping at Target, we no longer have to worry about that date thingy. And don't be surprised if you see me using that 'back in the day' moniker more as we journey forward. I believe it not only comes with the territory but for most of us, it is well earned. I know the identity theft deal is no laughing matter. I used to joke about how that if someone stole mine they would be so disappointed being me, however, we all know that it can become a nightmare in a heartbeat, and, sad to say, it continues to spiral out of control. (Conservative estimates put the cost at over $200 billion per year.) They tell us that in Europe they have implemented a much better electronic card system that greatly reduces the exposure compared to the cards we use here in the states. Why don't we have it here? It cost too much money from the card issuer and the retailers point of view. It's always about the money folks. Always.

I now have a new cell phone. It was either a Christmas gift or a 49th wedding anniversary gift from the wife, I can't remember which, but it has brought a sense of tranquility to an otherwise anxious world. I mean that old one I had was pathetic. Most of everything you needed to be able to see had worn off. The duck tape was a nice touch but it embarrassed nearly everyone, except for me. That little worn out phone in many ways was a metaphor for yours truly, you know, kind of like a comfortable but nearly worn out pair of jeans. The new one is all shiny with bold features. It supposedly is waterproof, rugged, and industrial strength. I'll probably be really glad I have it with me if I ever go into a nuclear power plant. And, my new phone is capable of doing all kinds of things even though its operator is not. It came with the Amber Alert feature preset. That's nice but the wife wasn't as impressed at 2 a.m. in the morning. I suppose I'm not the only one getting used to my brand new phone. (As a disclaimer, let me add: Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.) 

How many times have I told you, being me is no easy job? (No wonder I have to get up so early.) You've bound to have picked up on that one by now. You may think I've worn out a few psychiatrist couches over the years. It's really not as many as one might think. In fact, the number is zero. Are you happy now? Maybe the famous bard was onto something: "With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come." (William Shakespeare) Milton Berle said, "Laughter is like an instant vacation." Given all the funnies I so often inadvertently bring to my day, perhaps I'm the one with frequent flier laughs. Or something like that. It is Friday so make the best of it, enjoy your Saturday, and Lord's Day Sunday. The chuckle head blogger will do his best, Lord willing, to catch back up with you, come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: