Friday, January 24, 2014

"Since you cannot do good to all, you are to pay special attention to those who, by the accidents of time, or place, or circumstances, are brought into closer connection with you." ~ Saint Augustine

Come on down! Yep. I'm talking to you. Let me check that name tag. It says Friday. Well hello and welcome, because it is good to see you on this January 24, 2014. I'm always on the look out for a good explanation of exactly what it is that I do each day when I sit down and share using this blogging utility. I read one remark that said those who are personal essayists are typically all over the page with there often being no rhyme or reason to the subjects they cover or touch on. That sounds like something I can identify with. I also read this little quote that I like very much reflecting upon the relationship I envision between myself and those who read my stuff: "The charm of the familiar essayist depends upon his power of giving the sense of a good-humoured, gracious and reasonable personality and establishing a sort of pleasant friendship with his reader. . . ." A. C. Benson, 1922, 'The Art of the Essayist'. I didn't say I always hit that mark but I do think in many ways that's what I aim to accomplish each day. Of course I have a personal connection to many of my regular readers. Many are what we call back home blood kin and others are kin by His Blood. The accidental tourist that visits through no fault of their own, well, they will have to make up their own mind.

I have received several comments concerning the recent scientific research I shared that pointed out that we older folks have some valuable brain produced outputs, that while they may take a little more time to process, they end up not being as tainted as once thought in this youth obsessed culture. Some will immediately think this is sour grapes on my part, but, in reality, it's actually more about God's plan for how people and societies should function. Those who know me well will appreciate I'm not campaigning here for older folks to get special treatment, but, rather, it is important for us all to realize what God has communicated regarding this subject. The Holman Christian Standard Bible translates Leviticus 19:32 this way: "You are to rise in the presence of the elderly and honor the old. Fear your God; I am Yahweh." Want to know what happens when we fail to practice this, not only in the world in general, but also within the community of believers? Here's how you can tell: Look around, watch the news, pay attention.

That should do it for today and for the week. I'll leave you with a few groans just to show you that I know how to find them. I know where they live: ~ I tried to catch some fog. I mist. ~ Jokes about German sausage are the wurst. ~ A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran. ~ I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time. ~ How does Moses make his tea? He-brews it. ~ I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me. ~ I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down. ~ I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words. ~ I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me. ~ A cross-eyed teacher lost her job because she couldn't control her pupils? ~ I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me! ~ Broken pencils are pointless. ~ What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus. ~ England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool. ~ I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest. ~ I took the job at a bakery because I kneaded dough. ~ Velcro - what a rip off! ~ Cartoonist found dead in home. Details are sketchy. ~ I'm glad I'm not where you can throw something at me. But, maybe, just maybe, one of them brought a smile. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: