Tuesday, January 7, 2014

“The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.” ― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

Before I get to today's blog, I want to talk about Joy for a moment. In this case it is found in a child, our great granddaughter Madelyn Joy, or Madi-girl as we call her. Today she is celebrating her 4th birthday and we are thanking God for her as we pray that He will protect and help her to become all He has planned for her. She has thus far lived up to her name in bringing Joy to our entire family. Happy Birthday Madi! Love, MiMi and Poppy

Welcome once again to the early morning meeting place. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of Community and let's see if we can sort some of this stuff out. It's Tuesday, January 7, 2014. Over the last few days I think we all heard about all we ever wanted to hear concerning professional football players doing their thing in the cold. The game in Green Bay ended up not breaking the record cold game from back in 1967, but it did produce a very cold experience for all those interested. You may not have heard that a record was also set a few days ago for those attending an outdoor ice hockey match. The game was between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Just under 106,000 showed up to see these two teams go at it. Why is that newsworthy? I repeat, it was outdoors at the massive Ann Arbor, Michigan stadium. The record is one reason that it is noteworthy, but even more telling is the fact that it was played outdoors in 13 degree weather! People make a lot of excuses why they can't show up for this event or the other but reports like this tell me that if someone is willing to go and see an ice hockey match in that kind of freezing weather, well, it reminds us how people pretty much make it to whatever it is they determine they want to do, period. No matter what. It was a great match with the Maple Leafs winning 3-2. And, those attending got to be a part of history, that is, if they like many of their football loving compatriots are thawed out enough yet to enjoy it.

I'm getting used to it but it did take a while. People more and more respond to me as if I am an older person. I know they mean well. And, yes, perhaps it is time for me to nod in agreement when asked if I want those easy to open caps on my medicine bottles. Typically, when someone makes a point to show deference to me due to their perception of my age, well intended I'm sure, I look around to make certain they are talking to me. I know I try to show respect to those I consider to be elderly and I usually don't see myself in that category. I will say that the lids on a variety of jars do seem to have gotten tighter over the past few years. I also am not very patient trying to figure out what kind of super glue they used to seal cereal or cracker boxes. While that's not a new development for me, the wife usually panics when she sees me about to open almost anything. I might be on my way over the hill but I can still muster up enough brute force, (if it can be called that anymore), to render almost any container un-resealable both now and in the future. I had more to say but my short term had a little lapse issue and my long term reports that he doesn't have anything worth adding. Some of you know exactly what I'm talking about and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't act like you don't.

That was intended to bring a smile and we all need to find humor in our day by day living. They say there has to be a kernel of truth if any story is to resonate as being truly funny. It seems that much of what I write about, especially as it pertains to my daily exploits, end up with way too much of my version of reality. The late-great funny man George Burns who lived to be 100 once said this, "You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old." He was no doubt talking about a state of mind. Part of the enjoyment of life is the fact that folks are funny. And, we are folks, therefore, we are also funny. As it relates to some of the shenanigans I get involved in, well, enough said, I often do a pretty good job of amusing myself. My thought is if you haven't laughed at yourself lately, you're not really paying attention. You need to regain that one because it really is good medicine for your bones. Okay. Enjoy your day and let's all be thankful that God gave us the ability to laugh. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: