Thursday, January 23, 2014

"A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist." ~ Stewart Alsop

We meet again and it always seems to me that it begins right here, where X marks the spot, better known as The Blank Page. It can be quite intimidating as it stares back at me, but, sometimes you just have to jump in there with keystrokes blazing. You know. The take no prisoner attitude. Or something like that. It is good to greet you on this rather cool start to the day here on this Thursday, January 23, 2014. It seems to me that it was only 23 days ago when we were talking about embracing the new year. It does get away from us folks because the old adage is correct, it waits for no one. That's why we have to get up each day and do what we can if we are going to make it count. If not, we can easily end up with a pretty severe case of the 'should've, would've, and could've' regret syndrome. Maybe it is a phone call that needs to be made, or a visit, or a service that can be rendered to someone in need. Or, like in my case, some keystrokes that need to be rounded up and sprayed onto the electronic page with the hope of encouraging us all. Not feeling very encouraged? That's okay. Maybe a nap would help. Sounds good to me.

Let me clarify. There are times when the nap should not be implemented. I had one of those the other day while waiting on a traffic signal to change. As much Community as I take in one would think that nodding off would be next to impossible. I was sitting there patiently. I fell asleep. That's right. As in, asleep at the wheel. I'm not talking about day dreaming here. It was more of a snore city type of a sudden onset sleep attack. However, I was fortunate. I was more or less parked, and the good folks around me were kind enough to let me know that my chosen place to take a rest break was unacceptable since they had places to go and people to see, so to speak. Once I saw how concerned they were for me, I immediately floored my accelerator while trying to figure out exactly where I was. The best thing to do when something like that happens is to put distance between yourself and any of the remaining eye witnesses. I would like to say that I embellished this little story but it pretty much reflects exactly what happened. It was one of those wake up calls, pardon the pun, that we all get from time to time.

Please don't send me your 'how to stay awake' tips because I think that little experience was enough of a shot across the bow to get my attention. I do, however, appreciate the concern. I can usually anticipate this drowsiness and interrupt its progress. I often sing when I feel this coming on. And, in that particular incident I suppose loud horns could be considered a form of musical accompaniment. Okay. I think we all have learned something through my little episode and now it is time to get on with the day that God has privileged us to live. The one we are dealing with at the moment, in the here and now. One thing that can help is to always be on the look out for God instituted opportunities that show up in your day. He works that way. Think about it. Sometimes it's not coincidence, it's a God-at-work situation that can bring honor and glory to Him and a blessing to yourself and others. And, it might also just help you to stay awake. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: