Friday, January 31, 2014

"In our time political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible." ~ George Orwell

Hello and welcome to where we will be observing a sense of celebration here at the ole blogger ranch because it's Friday and that means it will typically be followed by Saturday and Sunday, Lord willing, of course. Celebration is too strong of a word but I thought it might get your attention here on this last day of January, the 31st, in this brand new year of 2014. While I didn't catch the first part of the President's state of the union speech because I had a Church meeting to attend, I did catch much of it in real time, and watched his opening portion of remarks the next morning. While I have always thought President Obama to be an excellent speaker, it seems to me that he comes across these days as not really being all in for the things he talks about. This is me talking, not the news media stuff or the various factions doing their readouts. Even though most political folks use the teleprompter to keep their remarks on track, he just came across to me as someone doing his best to read a well written speech. The most effective part to me came with his recognition of the wounded warrior sitting up in the balcony. That extended applause was a legitimate response on behalf of a grateful nation. I thought the President's tying of America's grit and determination to the personal courage and fighting spirit of this soldier resonated throughout those halls and across America. (I know many are complaining about this hero being used as a political prop, however, the way I see it, I'll not let that diminish in any way the genuine respect and admiration I have for him and his service.) The speech ended and as the saying goes: At the end of the day, we are left to deal with what I believe to be the bad policies being pursued by this administration. Nearly 65% of Americans think we are headed in the wrong direction and I didn't hear one single thing from the podium Tuesday evening, that, in my opinion, will in anyway whatsoever change that sentiment for the positive. As for an increase in the wrong direction, we will just have to wait and see.

Did I not hear from those who thought it was wonderful? I did. They are entitled to their opinion. I have given you my two cents worth on the matter, unadjusted for inflation. That 'two cents worth' idiom has been around for a long time. It came over with those who spoke the King's English where it was said to be 'my two penny's worth'. While there are numerous ideas about where it might have come from, one that I like goes like this: "I said a penny for your thoughts, but I got two penny's worth." That's what I like to think about the sharing I do here at The View From Here. Value added, so to speak. Sure. I am fully aware that it does come down to the eye of the beholder, but, thankfully, we are still able to express freely our viewpoints. That is, unless you make a film that is critical of the President, or you choose to associate yourself with the Tea Party movement, or other types of expression, you might just end up sitting on the other side of the table from an IRS investigator. But, let's hope these things we are reading about are not truly intrusions on our freedoms. I would say it's time for us all to pay very close attention. Very close indeed!

The coldest day for Houston ever officially recorded was on January 18, 1930, where it hit 5° degrees. We've lived in this area for some 45 years and we have personally seen a number of low teen days where pipe bursting was the norm. We've also seen huge limbs coming off of our pine trees that sounded like crashing explosions when they fell. Those were not things we read about or saw on TV. We know firsthand what it's like to be without power during an ice storm. We've dealt directly with these cold weather results. More than once. So, we know that while some folks have dreaded the cold we've had the last few days, it could have been much worse my friends. Much worse. And, I don't think it has been cold enough yet to kill off many of the bug species we would like to say goodbye to. We can always be thankful that we have warm clothing and warm homes as we wake up each day and go about our business. Wait a minute. This just in. It's supposed to be in the mid 70's today but I don't think I'll put away my mittens just yet. Enjoy this balmy reprise along with a great Saturday and Lord Day's Sunday and I'll try my best to show up for my shift here somewhere around the same time come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: