Monday, January 6, 2014

Don't you just love hearing from both major political parties how they plan to prevent each other from getting anything done in the next session of Congress?

Welcome back on this bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday, January 6, 2014, to an environment we affectionately call the place where 'the rubber meets the road'. I send out a warm hello to each and everyone along with a thanks to all those who have hung in there each day as a regular reader. I hear from folks that tell me they, the husband and wife, faithfully read my blog everyday. That's humbling to me but I do appreciate the vote of confidence. Speaking of voting, I think it interesting that the President's chief pollster, Mike Allen, has a recommendation for the press for how they should pursue coverage in 2014. "Do not cover any of the opinion polls for the year of 2014." He said they shouldn't cover them because they are too much of a horse race style of snapshot and the numbers give people the wrong idea because they often do not reflect everything going on inside the numbers. Hello? Of course the President's approval numbers are currently in the ditch running lower right now than the very unpopular President George W., at this same time in his second term. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? It reminds me of that old TV show Hee Haw gag, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor would always respond, "Well, don't do that anymore!"

When I returned to work on December 30th I had not been keeping up with Houston area deaths while I was away. I typically like to scan the obituaries because of my nearly 45 years of living and working in the area. I pulled down the tab and selected the obits for the past week. I was somewhat stunned to find that 196 folks had left the scene since I had last checked. I spent most of the day scanning through them as I could here and there when I had a moment or two. The old saw about how the only things in life that are certain are death and taxes may bring a smile but in reality there's much more to it. I read about the sudden and unexpected deaths of folks who no doubt had other matters on their mind when they were the victim of an automobile accident or seized by a heart attack. Thousands of wives, children, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, and other family and friends, left behind. I didn't know personally even one of those 196 folks but in many ways I knew them all. How? Because they were just folks. Sure, I even mentioned to my mom that perhaps eight or more were at least 95 years or older. Sadly, way too many were in their teens or early twenties. Just folks. The other thing I am always pleased to report are the accomplishments and contributions made by those who have applied themselves during the time they have sojourned here on the planet. Some had glowing testimonies they carried with them into the presence of their Lord. Sobering? Yes. But also encouraging as we all have opportunity to think about the legacy we are building that will be left behind.

How's it going in the new year? So far, so good, but at the same time, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The regular bills keep coming just like they always have. You can't help but to begin thinking about getting ready to think about your tax return. Doctors visits to schedule. Places to go, people to see. A major activity for me is to get my new calendar diary set up for the new year. Birthdays, anniversaries, important numbers, contact information all has to be transferred. Why don't I do it electronically, then I wouldn't have to worry about it? While that's not a bad idea, it's not how I operate in terms of keeping up with stuff. To each his own I suppose. I did read on Facebook how that many people we know were very diligent and busy clearing out their old files and setting up new ones, and doing all the other stuff for managing their affairs in the new year. I guess we are more or less somewhere in the middle. We know that we need to get those kinds of things done but we don't always have a sense of urgency about it. You know. We eventually get there but it may involve a little kicking and screaming before we arrive, so to speak. Maybe that should have been one of my resolutions. That's right. I didn't make any. Maybe I should have made a resolution to make resolutions. I'll have to think about that before the end of this brand new year. You do the same. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.    ....More later. 

No comments: