Friday, January 3, 2014

Hopeless Romantic: "How do I love you? I love you so much. In fact, I love you like I love my coffee in the morning."

Well, how do like this development? It's already Friday, the first one of the brand new year, here on this January 3, 2014. I want to give a shout out to my eldest for giving me one of those fancy coffee machines for my office. You know the one I am talking about. You pop in the little single serve cup and wham, bam, next thing you know the Community nectar is smoking and ready to consume. I did have some trouble getting it to work how I wanted it to work. We had to do some experimenting to get it as strong as I am used to it. But, now that we have come to an agreement about just how much liquid should be used to make a delicious cup, well, things are right with the world. You noticed I didn't call it a K-Cup. That's the one that comes with the brand of the coffee maker, copyright and all of that jazz. The Community Coffee Company named theirs Single Serve, therefore, that's the appropriate name even if it came late. Don't laugh. I do try to inform and educate along life's way.

When we were over in Louisiana last week, my sister-in-law has one of the same kind of machines but she did not have a ready supply of those little individual servings available. She is not a coffee drinker and I used up what she had on hand before anyone even thought about waking up for the day. It was around 6 a.m. when I drove down to the nearby country store to see if they had any. I walked in and the lady there, maybe in her late 40's greeted me like they do back home, "Hello honey, how can I help you today?" Trying to communicate in the best way possible for the masses, I responded with my question, "Do you have any of those little K-Cup coffee packages?" I got in response the twisted up lips and puzzled face, "What's that baby, were you wanting some coffee cups because we do have them?" I dutifully continued my quest, "No mam, it's the little individual coffee containers that you put in one of those newfangled coffee making machines." She was a lady of action, "Well, Sweetie, let's just go back here and look because I do think one of the girls here has one of those fancy machines." I followed her back to the shelf where they had coffee. It did my heart good to see those bags of Community all shined up and ready but there were none of the Individual Serve packages. She was sorry, "Darling, maybe you can get them at the Dollar General over in Anacoco but they don't open until 9 a.m., and it looks like you must be on a road trip." I told her I was just visiting and would drive into Leesville to see if I could find them there. She wished me well. I do love me some country folks. They are genuine and that to me is a good thing.

I drove the 25 minute trip on into Leesville and found that the Food Basket was already open. The folks in there were all busy getting everything ready for the day. Stockers were stocking and the one cashier was cleaning her area. I found what I was looking for and they were even on sale at $2 off what I typically pay for a package of 12. That would have been worth the 185 mile journey from home just to get that kind of deal on Community. I shared all this with you because I thoroughly enjoyed that little excursion. I grew up in that area and I can tell you the folks I saw that morning were brimming over with Louisiana hospitality and I actually miss that. I have a lot of respect for those who have such a great attitude. I often see the white hair of the milk guy unloading dolly after dolly of gallon jugs. No telling how many years he has logged. Still working, still smiling, and yes, he did know which aisle to check for the Community. I won't do a review of what we have learned today, I'll let you do that on your own. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and try your best to start off 2014 by gathering where other believers come together to praise God and study His Word. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: