Thursday, January 2, 2014

" And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Book of Joshua, Chapter 24, Verse 15, (KJV)

The way I see it, there's no better way to start off the new year than showing up here at my home away from home, my desk here at work, aka the ole blogger ranch. I bring you greetings on this Thursday, the first work day of the new year, January 2, 2014. Nearly everywhere I go people ask when I am going to leave the daily routine, you know, retire. I typically tell them I already have retired but I've also chosen to show up here each day to contribute what I can to the cause. I start off this new year actually feeling very well. In this upcoming year, if the Lord provides, I will hit the 68 mile marker, and the 50th anniversary of our wedding vows. I don't really know how I should be feeling at the age I am at the present moment. Don't get me wrong. I could do without the diabetes. I would also just as soon forgo the moderate arthritis that apparently comes with the territory. On the other hand, had I not found out about my diabetes as early as I did, and had I not responded by attempting to do my best to manage it, who knows? It might just be a blessing God used to keep me around.

What will the new year bring? There's no way any of us can predict what might end up being on our agenda on any given day. Life is like that. The wife and I used to sing a song that really lays out the reality of life itself. The song itself dates back to the early 1950's and we sang it mostly in the mid to late 60's. I have used it more than once in my visits with you, yet, I believe it does bear repeating as we face the unwritten pages that will define 2014:

Maybe it's You and then, Maybe it's Me


Verse 1 -Someone will get a blessing as promised by the Lord, Someone will then rejoice and happy be; Someone will be heartbroken and crying mournfully, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.

Chorus: Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me, Who'll be the next to face eternity; When the day has come and gone, He will take somebody home, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.

Verse 2 -Someone will be in sorrow and tears will start to fall, No comfort, peace nor happiness they'll see; Someone will have their troubles, be filled with misery, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.

Chorus: Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me, Who'll be the next to face eternity; When the day has come and gone, He will take somebody home, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.
 
Verse 3 -Someone will die tomorrow, as many have today, This life is so uncertain we can see; Someone the call will answer, we know not who 'twill be, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.

Chorus: Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me Who'll be the next to face eternity; When the day has come and gone, He will take somebody home, Maybe it's you and then maybe it's me.

Sad outlook? I don't see it that way because as believers we want to live in the reality of doing our best with God's help to make the best life we can while we have opportunity. My baby sister altered the lyric from one of her favorite Gospel songs to fit her cancer shortened life: "Because He lives I can face today." Yes. I do know the Gaither line is about facing tomorrow but Kayla's reality was very much one day at a time, therefore, her perspective was one of doing all she could with every breath God gave to her before her departure. This means we can face an unfilled in calendar with its many unknowns. How? Because He lives! Our faith in Him is our foundation as we seek to live out the life He has given to us. May God help us all to be all He would have us to be, while we have time, in the coming new year. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: