Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation." Edward R. Murrow

I bid you a bitter good morning. No. I am not bitter, but they tell me the weather is bitterly cold. I suppose the word bitterly applies since it does connote unpleasantness, stinging, and harsh. I actually didn't find it to be any of those things but I'm trying to keep up here folks, just keeping up. All of this is taking place here on this Wednesday, January 29, 2014. Hello and welcome. Okay. I knew that someone would spot it. My title yesterday was supposed to be a joke. It's about me being from an area where folks thought a subdivision was a math problem. Well, it turns out they would have been correct in thinking that but I doubt they would have known about it. The Encyclopedia of Mathematics actually has an entry on Subdivision. It is a page long and it has to do with a geometric simplicial complex. How did I find out about that? Well, I actually do fact check my work from time to time and even though it was intended to be humorous I wanted to let the purists that may be lurking in the shadows know that I was aware of the subdivision geometric connection. The use of the word aware may be a huge overkill because it's more that I saw it on a page and read some about it with absolute no understanding of any of it whatsoever. Furthermore, I knew it was an area way over my head when I saw that it was partially based on theories of combinatorial topology espoused by Aleksandrov, and, of course, translated from the Russian. Of course.

I love to read a descriptive phrase that jumps out at me. Here's one I read where the writer was talking about country music singer Marty Stuart and his band... "they’re as hot as bacon grease poppin’ in granny’s gravy-sizzling iron skillet." We watch these guys perform on RFD-TV and we know they are excellent musicians, however, I immediately thought of my Granny Mac's, my Mom's, and my wife's gravy-sizzling iron skillet(s). Now that is a word picture a country boy can understand and I am thankful it still gets portrayed around my house, typically, several times a week. I'm not big on putting gravy on my cat head biscuits but I will assure you that on that issue I'm in the minority around my house. Our boys and many of the grand kids dearly love their biscuits with gravy which can only be properly made with leftover bacon or sausage grease. Now I've done gone and made myself hungry. To think that it all began with one sentence from a music review. How do you like that? Guess I will have to settle for a little package of those gummy fruit flavored snacks. This concludes another sad chapter in the story of my life. Just joking folks.

I am well aware that our family by instinct and inheritance got the eat-to-live versus the live-to-eat somewhat mixed up along the way. We do love us some home cooked meals and I have a well documented history of blood sugar readings to prove it. Another joke. I had no way of knowing my wife was going to become a fabulous cook when we got married. She took what her mom had taught her and added this, that, and the other from my folks. While it didn't happen overnight, she worked at it and it came sooner than anyone might have expected. I think about her learning to make biscuits and cornbread from scratch when she was just a wee little girl. I wonder how many ladies there are who even know where to begin to make homemade biscuits from scratch. I taught myself how to do it by watching her. They don't come out like hers but they will do in a pinch. Maybe I've hit upon a foundational principle for would be great cooks. Start with homemade biscuits. I'm talking about those that are individually squeezed off and hand rolled and put into the iron skillet. (See skillet above.) No biscuit mix or cookie cutters allowed. That's how we roll. No pun intended. I'm still hungry. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: