Monday, January 27, 2014

"How Cold Is It? It’s so cold, even polar bears can’t handle the polar vortex! Multiple news sources reporting from zoos across the country that polar bears are curling up and staying inside with their snuggie and a cup of cocoa in front of the fire!" (copied)

Okay. It was very cold last Friday morning. I said it. It was cold. It was icy cold. The streets were iced over. I actually defied by own stubbornness by staying home and waiting for it to clear some. I didn't get to work until 11 a.m. Watching all those folks slipping and sliding and, sadly, some beating and banging out on those icy roadways was very scary indeed. Our eldest works in Pearland and he said he saw cars and car parts littering his commute in. The below freezing is not a problem but the sleet and ice, well, they will get the best of almost anybody, often without warning. Some folks were stuck on a major access bridge for more than two hours waiting on it to be cleared and safe. I am thankful that I was able to drag my old self out of bed this morning and make it to my home away from home, here at the ole blogger ranch, on this Monday, January 27, 2014. The local news media did have their moment to shine as they did wall to wall coverage of the winter weather event. Facebook was also lit up with play by play of how folks were coping. Some kiddos were able to play in the snow while others just got to get a handful or two, and that's not something they get to do around these parts very often. I even saw one exchange on Facebook where an African American lady was complaining about it being called 'black ice'. Sometimes folks just seem not to have enough to fuss about, if you know what I mean. If you liked last Friday I understand we have more on the way.

I sometimes wonder about my better half. She hosted a granddaughter slumber party last Friday evening. She went all out. Food, fun, fellowship, and chick flicks. She had asked them what food they wanted as the main course. They came back with homemade cornbread dressing and homemade lasagna. She accommodated with a large pan of each. The men and boys were relegated to the upstairs. I worked on my lesson hand out for Sunday and operated mostly out of my office. I did get a phone call from my sister JoAnn with mostly good news from her most recent testing related to her chronic leukemia. This was an answer to prayer and we do thank everyone who has been faithful to pray for her. One really great benefit from the MiMi slumber party was having our granddaughter Tiffany Marrie along with her daughter, our great grand, Madelyn Joy. Madi girl just turned four and based on what I heard wafting up the stairs, well, she was the life of their party. Tiffany grew up enjoying way too many to count sleepovers here in our home and seeing them here together, well, my allergies must have kicked in or something because my eyes kind of misted up. That tends to be an affliction that I suffer from more as the years roll on. Funny how some things plague older folks, isn't it?

We have one of those fake flickering fire place insert thingies. It even has the crackling sound effect. It does not put off any heat but it somehow makes one feel a little warmer just seeing and hearing it. Talk about the power of suggestion! You can back up to that little machine all day long and it will only be the thought that makes you feel warmer. That reminds me how that things are not always what they seem to be. The old preacher used to recommend that a boy surprise his intended before her face is made up and she was still in her hair rollers. You know. Truth in advertising as well as a version of what you see is what you get. I did see my intended without makeup many times and I also saw her in hair rollers many times. It didn't change my feelings for her one iota and I have forty nine years and counting to prove it. I do hope that you will go out there and make the best of this day, as in, "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: