Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory." ~ Franklin P. Adams, American Newspaper Columnist

This is one of the actual papers that I have a reprint of. 
(It has 12 pages)
Hello again. I do hope that as you turn your attention to the one and only day we have to work with, that you will embrace and use it in a productive way. That's not a bad attitude to have on this, Tuesday, August 20, 2013. I'll try and remember that one myself. I'm still reading my old newspaper reprints. Here's a little blurb from the The Milwaukee Leader, Monday Evening, October 28,1929, (Pictured above): Two Rural Youths Do their Mashing Here; Fined $25 ... "Two country boys, who came to the city yesterday to cut a few capers, were fined each $25 in district court today for mashing. The young swains fined are George Grosch, 22 years old, and Delvin Barth, 25 years old, Thiensville. The complainants, both 14 years old, were Vernette Gross 1736 Fifteenth st., and Elizabeth Zankl, 1753 Eleventh st." I had to do a little research on this one. Thiensville, Wisconsin is a farming community about 30 miles north of Milwaukee. These two lads came into town to cut a few capers, live it up a little, party hearty, paint the town. These young swains or male admirers were fined for mashing which has to do with forcing themselves on these two young ladies. They probably didn't do them physical harm but they wouldn't leave them along. I might have had trouble communicating back then. I didn't know a convertible with the top down was called a breezer, a giggle water would have been an alcoholic beverage. To be in a grummy mood would have meant you were depressed and if you wanted someone to move more quickly you told them to get a wiggle on.

I fully realize the symbolism of us having the first African American President. I get it. This furor over the rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask is absolutely the epitome of silliness and stupidity. It was in poor taste. Because of all the hoopla, those involved were all fired. But, let's get some perspective here. In my lifetime no president has been more vilified, especially by the left leaning press and their followers, than President George W. Bush. His image has been portrayed with hate smeared threats all over this land. None of the mainstream press now suddenly relegating themselves as great protectors of the office stepped forth to condemn and call for anyone involved to be canned. In fact, the people portraying President Bush in a negative fashion were their people, those who agreed with their assessment, and those who sip the Kool-Aid they dispense everyday. I thought that rodeo parody was uncalled for but I've also thought the same thing about the hate mongering mainstream press that wallowed in what they now deem to be unsavory and potentially damaging. In fact, a video of a similar incident where the rodeo participant was wearing a President George W. Bush mask has been found. Where was the outrage then? It's my opinion that it is in their liberal interests to foment the kind of strife and division they perpetuate. My opinion. I may be investigated for having one but I believe it's still one of the rights we have. Or, I hope it still is.

Sorry, but every once in a while that political submarine of mine does have to surface for air. I know what some of you are thinking. Whatever happened to silent running? Good question but I didn't sign up for that duty. You can tell. Right? Looking back on the stuff I've shared today does make me wonder if I have too much time on my hands. I knew you were thinking it so I said it before you did. Some people on Facebook post birthday greetings early. I got one of those about a week early from a fellow I went to high school with. Then, I got one on Thursday evening and it was not early. It came from one of our missionary families in the Philippine Islands, and they are 13 hours ahead of us, therefore, it was already my birthday over there. I thought that was kind of neat. Okay. I most likely finished some time ago so now I'm overdue in saying farewell for this day. Take care and may God bless each one is my prayer.  Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: