Thursday, August 29, 2013

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny." ~ Steven Wright

Welcome one and all to our Thursday time together here on this August 29, 2013. The other day when I mentioned the milestone of somehow putting together 1600 of these daily visits, I failed to talk about what has to seem like a lot of repetition. I used to worry about that but I came to realize that it's a slice of my life being shared, therefore, some stories get repeated and the themes that are important continue each day. I know many might think I over emphasize the spiritual context of my day by day journey here on the planet. I can appreciate that but I do so because it continues to be the driving force that under girds my life. I know a particular individual who actually has told me the same story from his past dozens of time. He's my friend so I do my best to listen with interest. I sometimes think I know that story better than he does. I don't want that to be the way it is when you tune in to this station each day. However, when the dust settles, as my mom likes to quote me most likely quoting what has become a popular saying: "It is what it is." For me, it's therapeutic and much cheaper than other treatment options. You do know that's a joke. Right? I would not kid you about something like that. It really is.

Sometimes kids have a way of putting things right in our very mixed up world. One little fellow gave this advice: "If you are going down the wrong road, make a right turn." A little adopted girl grew tired of being teased at school. One day she blurted this one out: "At least my parents chose me but yours are just stuck with you." One eight year old girl warned her friends: "When a person gets kissed for the first time, they fall down, and they don't get up for at least an hour." Another young lady gave her insight: "Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know one another. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough." A little smarty explained why he was late to his teacher: "I would have made it sooner but I came upon a sign that said School Ahead Go Slow." One little guy became frustrated when told over and over again that he should be good. He asked what would happen if he became gooder and gooder. His mom told him he would become an angel. The little guy became very sullen: "But I don't want to be an angel, I want to drive a train." Out of the mouth of babes.

Maybe the preceding paragraph can be utilized as a laugh break. We do need one now and then, especially in a world where so much sadness seems to dominate. There is hope. In connection with our being daily bombarded with bad stuff, I thought about this portion from the 94th Division of the Psalms:

16 "Who will rise up for me against the evildoers?
Who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?
17 Unless the Lord had been my help,
My soul would soon have settled in silence.
18 If I say, “My foot slips,”
Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up.
19 In the multitude of my anxieties within me,
Your comforts delight my soul."

I bolded that one line because it has been a testimony in my life that covers so many situations, times, and circumstances. As those who have placed our faith and trust in God, we can know that He will, in His own good timing, make all things right, and as the psalmist said, we can be comforted by these truths. Amen. Take care now, you hear?    ...More later.

No comments: