Friday, August 23, 2013

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life." ~ Socrates

A resounding "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" to you on this Friday morning, August 23, 2013. I really thought that phrase had diggity in it but I found out it didn't. I must have been a little confused because the 1956 Perry Como hit song had this: "Hot diggity, dog ziggity, boom: What you do to me,: When you're holding me tight." By the way, that doo dah opening welcome phrase is from Disney's "Song of the South." I suppose I was searching for a little zip diggity ziggity to help get my day started. You know. While waiting for the Community to brew. But, I'm glad you chose to join me here at the ole blogger ranch. When I was practicing my care taking skills on our
infant grandson, Alex, he and I used to watch a cartoon called Busytown. Come to think about it, he was most likely just watching the colors and the lighting change on the screen. However, that's what most of us live in today, Busytown. So perhaps we all need to take a deep breath and consider ways to not get so caught up in the busyness that seems to dominate. With that in mind, here's an ancient Chinese proverb that makes good sense:

If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day, go fishing.
If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.

I was scanning through another online obituary the other day and I noticed in the pop up portion a comment from the guestbook that said they remembered how this person had always made people smile. I clicked on the guestbook itself and discovered that this sentiment was a common theme among those who had expressed their condolences. The gentleman who passed away obviously knew how to bring joy, a ray of sunshine, laughter, and smiles wherever he went. It must have been a part of who he was. And, people noticed. No one said anything about his long hours spent at the office or how he was always on the run. But, they did say quite a lot about his heart as demonstrated in his winsome ways. I know that God is in the convicting business and He does an excellent job when I read a passage from His Word. I have to feel convicted now from reading an obituary? I guess so and think about it, He could be speaking through a fellow's life that used his time to bring a smile to others.

I'm not sure I have time for any of that conviction stuff this morning. I'm just too busy. Maybe I could take two aspirins and check on it later, you know, when I have more time. In fact, I think I will make myself a note to do that very thing. Later. Of course. That was done for effect but it doesn't miss the mark that much as it pertains to me. During my three score and seven I can tell one and all how easy it is to get caught up on a hamster wheel of our own making. When we do this we lose perspective and just keep pumping that wheel often without positive results. How do I know? Just be aware of this: I've been there, done that. Here's what the ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu penned: "Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing." Don't blame me if you wake up in the middle of the night with that one on your mind. Speaking of the middle of the night, it reminds me that it's time for me to make my exit for this week. Have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and, may God add His blessings to each life. Amen. See you next time.    .....More later.

No comments: