Friday, August 16, 2013

"Like everyone else who makes the mistake of getting older, I begin each day with coffee and obituaries." ~ Bill Cosby

Good morning and welcome. It is Friday, August 16, 2013. Today I mark the 67th year of my sojourn here on the planet. I thought of doing a list of 67 reasons reflecting upon how I know I have been blessed, however, that does seem a little tedious to me, therefore, suffice it to say that I have been blessed, much more than I deserve. I know it has not all been a bed of roses or a tip toe through the tulips, however, on balance, it has been a journey where I have learned that God has been with me all the along the way. I want to share with you this number 67 in honor of my 67th:

Psalm 67

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm. A song.

May God be gracious to us and bless us
    and make his face shine on us—
so that your ways may be known on earth,
    your salvation among all nations.
May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
    for you rule the peoples with equity
    and guide the nations of the earth.
May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
The land yields its harvest;
    God, our God, blesses us.
May God bless us still,
    so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.

I've been able to go a few places and I've done a number of different things, however, looking back I know that the Lord used people in my life to bring me to where I am today. People. Not the jobs I've held and the few successes I've enjoyed. Not the stuff I've accumulated. People. Many have come in and out of my life and are now in the presence of our Lord. I wouldn't even begin to start naming them for the cast is huge and the help they provided to me enormous. Some of them told me things I didn't want to hear. Some of them saw in me achievements I did not see. My family poured into me and shaped me in large part into who I am today. And, to think that I have the girl of my dreams traveling alongside me for well over fifty years, well, that would be enough to put icing on any birthday cake. Bottom line, I've been blessed with a whole lot of folks who have given to my life. Here's a sentiment we all can take to heart as penned by Gloria and Bill Gaither:

If you want more happy than your heart will hold,
If you wanna stand taller if the truth were told,
Just take whatever you have and give it away.
If you want less lonely and a lot more fun
And deep satisfaction when the day is done,
Then throw your heart wide open and give it away!
I suppose a simple thank you is in order. Thanks to each one who has played a role in my life. And, Lord willing, I will, with His help, keep moving on down the road where I will be trying to be a person in someone's life like those who have helped me. Now go out there and enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll see if I can come up with something for our next visit. May God bless each one. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: