Friday, August 9, 2013

"First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns...next thing you know, you're shavin' your beard and wearin' capri pants." ~ Uncle Si

It's Friday, August 9, 2013, and I do bid you a bid old howdy howdy. It won't be long now. The start up of Duck Dynasty, Season 4, is scheduled for next Wednesday evening. We are Duck Dynasty fans. We watch the program. We have watched most of them more than once in rerun. We watch the reruns typically because they are better than most of the junk being aired at any given time. I'm not a big bandwagon kind of person but I suppose I could be called a member of the Duck Nation. This weekend NASCAR will be competing on the road course up in Watkins Glen, New York. Clint Bowyer is one of the series' premier drivers. He will be driving a car promoting Duck Dynasty. (See the photo.) He did a guest appearance on the show last year and it was hilarious. Here's what Bowyer had to say about this promotion, "Being a guest on an episode of Duck Dynasty with Willie and the boys was probably one of the biggest things I've done outside of a race car since I got in this business. I had absolutely no idea the reach that show has. I spent my whole life working hard and making sacrifices to become a race car driver and to be known as a good race car driver. Now I'm just the guy with the camouflage limo that was on Duck Dynasty." He can run whatever paint scheme he wants, I'm still pulling for the Number 24, Jeff Gordon. Just so you know.

The late Ray Charles had a song that said it. Then the Hee Haw comedy series also tackled it. "If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all." The Hee Haw version used the word 'weren't'. We may have chuckled about that sentiment but I read this week about a fellow who might qualify as its target. Here's the highlight from his story: "A Florida man, Erik Norrie, is recovering in a Tampa Hospital after a shark attacked him while he was fishing in the Bahamas. In his life time, the 40-year-old says he has already survived a lightning strike, a rattlesnake bite and two different monkey attacks." I would be checking to see if maybe there's a message he needs to read. I've known a few people who were thought to have their own personal black cloud hovering over them but I don't think any of them could match this fellow's story. Theirs mostly had to do with car problems, house issues, and other unusual mechanical types of failures. Like I say, if I were Mr. Norrie I think I might just be trying to get in touch with my Maker and talk all of this over with Him.

Bro. Ernesto and his son, Bro. Juan
I am very happy to let everyone know about a trip we have planned for this weekend. The wife and I along with several others from our local fellowship of believers are planning to travel to Del Rio, Texas in support of our Mexican mission efforts in Acuña, Mexico. We will be there in Acuña on Sunday to celebrate the formation of two new Churches, moving them from mission status to fully autonomous independent congregations. Each one will have their own pastor. This is the 9th Church founded under the leadership of our senior missionary, Bro. Ernesto Gallegos. He and his son Juan have worked tirelessly on behalf of bringing the Gospel to the Mexican people. It has been our privilege to know and to support these men and their families for more than twenty years. Even though Bro. Ernesto is 81 years young, he already has plans for establishing a new mission point. And, Bro. Juan does also. This is an exciting time as we will be able to witness firsthand how God works through His local Church. Please join with me in thanking God for this wonderful achievement and pray that He will provide safe travels for our group there and back. It seems like I've been a lot different places this week in our visits each day where we have traveled together from this topic and subject to another, but, I do wish you a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and Lord willing, I'll try to be back in place come Monday morning. May God bless. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: