Monday, August 19, 2013

"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; If service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching;..." Romans 12:6-7

Good morning and welcome to my brighter than brand new blog. I used that because I remembered one of those radio ads about the 1950 Rinso with something they called amazing Solium that washes clothes whiter - brighter than new. Wishful thinking I suppose for my blog but hello from my desktop to yours on this Monday, August 19, 2013. Just so you know, I had myself a mighty fine birthday and I do thank all of those who sent greetings and especially for all the stuff my wife did to make it a wonderful celebration for me. I had a solo birthday serenade by phone from Grandson Brady, a collective birthday chorus at the Friday homemade supper sung by Jimmy Jr., Alesha, Amanda, and Alexander Benjamin, and a birthday called in song led by Granddaughter Lexie Dee. I had some of the kindest words I ever read posted on Facebook. Believe me, many of them were way over the top but very appreciated. We finished up with another meeting of our gang gathered for a celebration at the restaurant Sunday evening. Earlier in the day I also was privileged to fill the pulpit for my dear friend Pastor Kim Williams. I use that 'fill the pulpit' as a description, not necessarily as a record of what I was able to accomplish. Bro. Kim and his family are away on vacation. I have been with his people many times before and they are always very gracious and receptive. After more than forty years of teaching the Bible, I certainly don't lack for material, but, everyone should know that it is always a profound and humbling task to stand and deliver God's Word to God's people. Privileged is the right word and may God continue to bless Bro. Kim and His folks in pursuing the work He has called them to. Amen.

We came home from Church Wednesday evening and made our preparations. We were getting ready to get ready to watch the season premier of Duck Dynasty. The wife called her sister in Louisiana to make sure she knew the Dish Channel that it was showing on. I visited briefly with my mom at 9 p.m. like I do every evening and then I leaned back in my recliner to enjoy the show. I enjoyed the first 30 minutes before an attack took me out. Whatever it was, it completely sneaked up on me and by stealth got hold of my consciousness and put my lights out. Next thing I knew it was 10:15, the room was dark, the wife was gone, and I had to try and figure out what had happened. I went to bed and you-know-who asked if I had finally awakened. I ignored that and told her how much I enjoyed that first episode. She actually did one of those LOL, and laughed out loud. Don't worry. I watched the second half on the A&E website. Maybe before the next one comes on I will have figured out what kind of ailment is lurking around seeking to knock me out, in, of all places, my recliner! Who ever heard tell?

Just so you know, I thought that first episode to be a pretty good start. I am concerned that with all the fame, and the fact that the Robertson clan is now on the A-List for celebrities, it could eventually spoil the show. Maintaining the appeal that got so many watching will be tough but I particularly thought the family emphasis of this first show to be very special indeed. There's an old time promoter in NASCAR who recently commented in an interview that he believes the sport he loves has messed up. He has standing because he ran one of the most successful speedway programs for many years. He said NASCAR decided it wanted to upgrade their image and become more mainstream and more Hollywood. Meanwhile, he believes they failed to honor those down home folks who actually helped build the sport. That's my fear for the Duck Dynasty people but they seem to recognize that as well. Okay. That's about it from this neck of the woods, at least for now. I will leave you with some useful words of advice from none other than Uncle Si Robertson: "America, everybody is in too big a rush. Lay back, take a sip of tea, mow a little grass. Then if you get tired, take a nap." May God bless each one. Amen.    ...More later.

No comments: