Monday, August 26, 2013

From Twitter: "My 5 year old is looking all over the house for his drumsticks but he won't have any luck finding them without a shovel."

Come on in. The door is open. I am off and running, not necessarily in that order, but welcome anyway to Episode Number 1600, on this Monday, August 26, 2013. Sixteen hundred visits at about 700 words per episode, well, that's a lot of, I'll be kind, information emanating from my place here at the old blogger ranch. Thanks for tuning in. I'm not on Twitter. Yet. (Never say never.) Many people are. What is Twitter? It's another social networking program that folks use to communicate short updates called tweets. While I'm not a twitter tweeter, I do enjoy some of the more well written ones that make it into several different sites that categorize them as Tweets of the Day. Like this one served up by a fellow sojourner in life: "As a kid, all is black and white. Then you gain power and claim the hard calls are gray. But inside you know they’re still black and white." If you happen to Google 'Tweet of the Day' don't get overheated if you get a bird site or two that comes up. That's right. Some folks actually still connect tweeting to birds. They do need to catch up with the real world. Right? Another tweet that caught my attention in the 'duh' category: "Just beat my record for most consecutive days without dying." Stating the obvious no doubt but it does call attention to the fact that we are still kicking, or something like that.

I think the social media onslaught is supposed to improve communications. I heard about one poor fellow who told his wife that he wanted her to talk to him about anything at all, just like she does to her girlfriends. She agreed and said she wanted to discuss why he is such an idiot. Not exactly what he had in mind. We all learn that our words can have consequences. Like the lady who didn't get the job. She surmised that her answer of tacos and cheesecake were probably not what the interviewer was looking for when she was asked about her weaknesses. But we do live and learn. It takes a while. Most of us have finally figured out that when the customer service call center puts you on hold, they are all flipping coins to see who is going to play the manager on our call. It's worth repeating, we do live and learn, or at least that's what I have always heard.

I read last week that some retailers intend to start Christmas sales as early as August and September. This is because of their pessimistic outlook for what typically is their biggest selling season. There are still, however, folks that want to celebrate in the traditional manner. We already have three bookings for the Jolly Old Couple and we certainly know of several more. We feel blessed that folks desire for us to show up again to reprise our roles in bringing joy to children of all ages. When we were in Mexico at the banquet after Sunday evening services, we were all enjoying fellowship and I noticed the son of the newly called Pastor kept looking at me and whispering to his buddies. I asked his dad, Bro. Oscar, what he was saying. He told me his little boy thought maybe I was Santa Claus. I immediately went over and handed the little guy one of my cards. He nearly flipped out. I love it when it goes down like that! Have a great Monday and may God add His blessings to our day. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: