Monday, July 1, 2013

"I love it when a plan comes together." The Hannibal character from the TV series, The A-Team

It's Monday, July 1, 2013, and I am proud to say the wife is back and things seem to be just a little more right with the world. I know I am pretty much a slave to my routine but she is a major part of my program, therefore, it is good for me that she is back home again. They had a great time and came back with many testimonies, memories, and with many new friends made. She was super tired but knew that God had blessed their effort to represent Him to the people they touched. Meanwhile, back at the ole blogger ranch, or down on the farm, or in this, my domain where the rubber meets the road, I do bid you greetings for this holiday work week. Can you believe that we've already concluded the first six months of 2013, and as I write this today we are anticipating the observance of our nation's 237th birthday, that being Independence Day? Blur. That's what it seems like as the days have literally flown by. It seems like only yesterday folks were greeting me with Ho Ho Ho as the jolly old elf instead of Happy Happy Happy as a Duck Dynasty knock off. Yet, we know that through it all God has been with us every step of the way, and for that we are so very thankful, and yes, that is a fact, Jack! Amen.

Bad news is a part of life. It also sells. I saw a website the other day devoted to nothing but bad news...as it happens. Here's some of the subjects they feature: Natural Disasters, Pollution, Heat, Fire, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Wind, Water,  Landslides, Domestic Violence, Murder, Rape, War, Hate Crimes, Corruption, Kidnapping, Bad Guys, Illegal Activity, and Medical calamities. Now that's a way to get your day started. Right? While I don't suggest we feast on these types of depressing tidbits all the time, it is a reality of life in this fallen world. I mention this because more and more I talk with people who do their best to tune out any and all things that are what they call a downer. To me, it reflects the 'you can run but you cannot hide' situation. There's much evil in the world and it is because of sin and it is all around us, all the time. This is the truth but there is hope through the Good News (Glad Tidings which reflects the meaning of the word, Gospel) as found in God sending His Son to live a perfect life and die on The Cross for lost humanity, and then be raised from the dead to give life to all those who come to Him. But, when we fail to appreciate the depths of our fallen world and our fallen self we could end up neglecting the salvation God has offered to us. (Hebrews 2:3 "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;")

I don't always know where a particular flow of thought comes from but I suppose it was germinated by that bad news website. Much of what appears here each day does reflect the what-you-see-is-what-you-get concept. I know some folks are easily offended when people talk to them about their need of a Savior. My wife and those teens last week came face to face with many folks who wanted no part of hearing what they had to say. Yet, the Apostle Paul said that in his own ministry, since he knew the truth about the future for those who reject God, that's why he did his best to persuade them with the Gospel. (My paraphrase of 2 Corinthians 5:11) We have a great friend who has had an eternal influence for good on literally hundreds of kids. The man, later in life, was brought to the Lord through the persistence of a fellow who would not leave him alone. Our friend even threatened this man with bodily harm if he returned to his door again. The witnessing fellow felt led of God to return. He did. Our friend admired his courage and eventually came to know the Lord. He and his wife have worked with middle school kids in their Church for over twenty five years. Their devotion and service is legendary. I'll let you connect the dots while I say a thanks be to God for the way He chooses to accomplish His will and way. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: