Tuesday, July 9, 2013

“The storm starts, when the drops start dropping When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping.” ― Dr. Seuss

Seems like I may be just a smidgen more of being back-in-the-saddle-again today. It does take some time to get the routine to become the routine again. I think it has something to do with the body. It still wants to be on that schedule that involves the recliner. But, here we are, and I bid you welcome on this Tuesday, July 9, 2013. Last Saturday morning I was watching a local station in Dallas when the weather lady came on. She said that while she had been given three minutes, she didn't really have very much to say, except for it being hot, it had been hot, and it would continue to be hot, and in some areas it would be even hotter yet. She then said she really didn't have much more to add. Now that was refreshing to me. I know that keeping people tuned in is the key so that commercials will be seen, but, there are times when that tease scenario does get old. "Now don't go away because there's some really fascinating weather information that may impact your planning. Stay tuned." Turns out to be a new long range forecast predicting a colder winter than normal, or something like that. Suckered again!

The weather people remind me of the subject of truth in advertising. Most of you know that I am into almost any snack that can be put into a package that contains 100 calories or less. While there is a fairly good assortment of products to choose from, I am always looking to try a new one. The other day I picked up a box of the Kellogg's Special K Brownie Bites Blondie. They looked yummy in the picture on the box and on the actual 0.74 ounce package. The photo is of the product as pictured on the box and on each package. And, it's only 100 calories. I had that picture in my mind when I opened the package. There must be some mistake. The little squares have been shrunk. They are almost as flat as a thin pancake and not as large as a regular postage stamp. I looked over the miniscule printing on the package. I promise. There was no indication that objects depicted on the package might be larger than those inside. I got just a little bit of an idea of how Benjamin Franklin must have felt the first time lighting hit that kite. Yep. Suckered again.

I've suggested before that folks here in the states can learn quite a bit about what's going on here in our own country by reading the foreign press. I'm not talking about the anti-American stuff because there are plenty of folks on the planet who hate us and our way of life. I'm talking mainstream reporters who try to get to the bottom of big stories that do impact not only our nation but their's as well. On Britain's Sky News webpage, I read a very interesting take on this whole issue involving the security information leaked by Edward Snowden. This writer was looking at our President's dismissive approach. It's called the no drama Obama style. Yet, he believes the President's downplaying of this 29 year old hacker that he would not scramble jets to try and capture is somewhat of a smokescreen. What about the facts behind what was leaked? What about this fellow's ability to get top secret information and download it onto his personal computer? What about security information his nation shares with us? What about the status of security screening and its management by US officials? This writer thought it would be good for the President to keep everyone focused on the story of one young man gone awry instead of having to deal with the even more serious matters it implies. See what I mean? It just helps to be informed. It might not be the whole story but it helps to get a variety of viewpoints. Until next time, hang in there, and I will catch up with you tomorrow, Lord willing of course. May God add His blessings to our day. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: