Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"Lonesome. Lonesome. I know what it means. Here all by my lonesome, dreaming empty dreams. Weary. Weary at the close of day, wondering if tomorrow brings me joy or sorrow." Leon Redbone

Hello folks, it's Tuesday, July 30, 2013, and I'm here to tell you that she did up and do it one more time, I guess for good measure. Or something. That is correct. As of last Sunday afternoon, the other half has flown the coop again. She's over in Louisiana having herself another visit with family. I suppose she woke up one morning with that song stuck in her head: "Travelin' man Travelin' man -- that's what I am Travelin' man Oh - that's what I am..." She no doubt made the appropriate gender substitution, but, at the end of the day, she's over there and I'm over here. I'm not glad she is gone but I am happy she gets to be with all her siblings and other family members. Meanwhile, she did leave me to fend for myself and that my friend could be a risky proposition. Just kidding, but it did sound like it fit, so I threw it in there. Many of you ask from time to time about my mom and dad and how they are doing. I thank you for that. They do have their challenges but for the most part they are well and still able to go about their business. For that we are thankful to our Great God. Last week my sister's daughter Angela brought her new granddaughter for a visit to meet my mom and dad. The photo shows mom with another great-great and you can see that she is greatly, greatly enjoying it.

I've often mentioned how much I enjoy the very positive things that show up on my Facebook page. A recent widely published story that took Facebook by storm was the account of how a pastor coming to his new 10,000 member Church disguised himself as a homeless person and showed up that way on his first day. He was not made welcome by the congregation. In fact, supposedly, he was asked to sit in the back of the building. The punchline came when he mounted the pulpit and asked whether the people were following Jesus or were they being a true Church in name only. This story has gone viral especially within conservative circles. There's only one big problem. Attempts to verify the accuracy of the report have failed. It's a great story and it makes some excellent points, but, based on what is now known, it is most likely a made up hoax. The photo used in the story has been identified as a real homeless fellow from the Richmond, Virginia area. The story may be good and it might appeal to many who share the same concern, but that doesn't make it a true story.

Last Thursday marked the anniversary of my last face to face visit with my brother-in-law Charles before he exited this life for his home going. We had us one of those old fashioned talking sessions and it was a reminder of our times together over a 50 year span. Last Friday I remembered the passing of our across the driveway neighbor Tom. He was a good neighbor. Next week will mark the one year anniversary of losing my Church and email buddy, Herman. He was a very bright and insightful man and we enjoyed our dialogue forth and back over the years. I also noted this past Friday the passing of billionaire oil man George Mitchell. He was a tremendously successful businessman and one of the most influential contributors to the community. He was 94 years young and still fairly active up to the end. Back in the early 1990's I was privileged to be a member of the Houston Club as a part of my responsibility with the big company. I ate lunch there several times a week. It was amazing to see so many of the so called business elite each time I was there. I often saw Mr. Mitchell and he made a lasting impression on me. There were always a group of the older retired oil men, some on walkers, that congregated together and Mr. Mitchell always chose to join them and I could tell they felt honored. It may not have been that big of a deal but it sure was to them. We all are passing through and on our way home. Making a difference in the lives of others will become someone's memory tomorrow. Have a great day and may God bless us all. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: