Monday, July 22, 2013

"When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick." ~ Comedian, the late George Burns

Hello friends and neighbors, welcome back to my version of Face Off where I typically sit in both chairs and debate myself. You get to watch. It is Monday, July 22, 2013, and it's good to have you on board for the ride today. I remember when I was a kid they used to wash clothes on the back porch using a wringer washing machine. The softener used produced a rinse washtub full of deep blue water. Many times we would find something to float in that water, you know, the ocean blue and all of that. When the clothes were washed and had finished soaking they would be rinsed and then put through the wringer to help squeeze out the excess water, and then they would be hung out on the clothesline to dry. We were always fiercely warned to keep our hands away from that wringer and as kids we likely thought that our entire body could have been shoved through that machine. Now that process pretty much describes how that little viral infection hit me last week. I felt all washed up and when it was finally put behind me I felt as if I had been put through the wringer and most of the energy had been squeezed out of me, and then I was hung out to dry as I did my best to go about my regular duties. Both being put through the wringer and being hung out to dry as figures of speech were in vogue for many years as a way of reflecting upon one having gone through a difficult time. They are often used to indicate someone being questioned in a harsh manner (put through the wringer) or left to bear the blame (hung out to dry.) Many in our current generation would have trouble visually identifying with these very common expressions.

It was wonderful to be back in my place yesterday teaching my Sunday morning Bible Study. Our folks had truly missed me being there the week before and they were very concerned about me calling in sick. That has not happened once in a blue moon and they were very kind to show such love and appreciation. That's what we do in a local fellowship of believers. We serve the Lord and care for one another. It's God's way. He set it up so that we could function as a body and while we are not ever where we want to be in terms of our faithfulness, we do, for the most part, show His love as we care for one another. This is, after all, how Jesus said that people would know that we are connected to Him. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (Gospel of John, Chapter 13, Verses 34-35)

On top of that, we had ourselves a wonderful service. A time of fellowship and study in the Word accompanied by Community Coffee, great music and worship, a wonderful sermon from God's Holy Word, and a baptismal service to top off our morning. I grasped a little of what the sweet Psalmist of Israel, David, meant when he exclaimed: "I was glad when they said to me, Let us go into the house of the LORD." (Psalm 122:1) My wife stayed late for vacation Bible school preparation so I went on home, ate a sandwich, and prepared for my afternoon of being laid up in my recliner like Paw Paw Mac would have said, "Like a bunch of dogs." I saw the tail end of the British Golf Tournament where they were giving the trophy to Phil Mickleson, picked up on some news, and then settled in for the NASCAR race from the Chicago Motor Speedway. I made a few phone calls to family and kicked back and enjoyed my day. Blessed. That's right. Blessed. And thankful for all that God provides. Now it's Monday and that is the day we all have that we can do something with. Yesterday is history and tomorrow is still just a plan, but, today we can do something. Hopefully, with God's help, something that will honor the Lord and serve others. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: