Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?" Steven Wright, Comedian

You have found my channel here on the blogger ranch radio dial and I bid you a hearty hello and welcome from my broadcasting booth where the rat-ta-tat sound of keys clicking can be heard. It's Wednesday, the 31st, and last day of July 2013. I am a typewriter trained typist but I've never done texting on a cell phone. I will tell you this. What people can do with their thumbs on those miniature keyboards is quite remarkable. I can probably still type around seventy words a minute but I have no idea how fast they are going, using just their thumbs. I suppose it helps that most of them never learned touch typing, although, my wife did and she is pretty good at the texting game as well. I do want to remind folks of something I see nearly every single day. Texting is perhaps the most distracting activity a person can do while they are driving. Yes. I know that talking on the cell phone is also an issue, but, it's not in the same league based on my observation of the sheer number of near misses I've personally witnessed because the other person was trying to hold their smart phone on the steering wheel sending and receiving texts while driving. My thoughts only, but, in my opinion, that is about as close to insanity as I can imagine. That's my public service announcement for the day. You know. Don't mess with Texas, or something like that.

Scattered. Rain showers, that is. We've actually had several over the past two weeks and we are so very grateful.That scattered deal can really rattle your cage. Some folks almost within spitting distance gets a soaking and you didn't get nary a drop. I've been on my way home and my wipers could hardly keep up with the hard rain only to cross an intersection and it's like the curtain went down, the sun is shining bright and it's so hot the water immediately evaporates off the car. Scattered. I will tell you that the drought we've experienced the past two years has made us all the more appreciative for any rain whatsoever. The rest of this week is supposed to be typical for summer here in these parts at this time of year. That's good news if you like heat torture or you sell electricity or you are in the air conditioning repair business. When the overnight lows are close to 80 and the heat index at peak heating is 105, well, welcome to life in the summertime in our world. It reminds me of the a/c guy who last visited us some time ago. He wanted to sell me a new system. Of course. But he left me with an ominous warning. "Sir, it's not if, it's when, and we may not be able to respond quickly if we are in the midst of a heat wave." I'm hoping this will be an if week and not a when, if you know what I mean.

I suppose I am a writer of sorts. Perhaps not in the classical sense and not in the well composed category. I actually read quite a lot about writing and how to do a better job at it. I know mine could be more concise. It shouldn't take anyone as long as it takes me to set up and then tell about something that doesn't really amount to much. I've even taken a writing course once. I didn't care too much for the butchering up of my prose. You know. Take out every single word that isn't necessary. I wrote a piece or two like that and my instructor thought they were good. Only one problem. It weren't me. Better? Perhaps, but it didn't reflect my heart and that's more or less the target I shoot towards when I put words onto the page. I thank so many of you read my stuff every day. It can be somewhat laborious. I also appreciate the notes I receive. It's very humbling to know that one can share in a forum like this and someone out there can be encouraged, entertained, or blessed. That's probably the most rewarding aspect from my daily word doodling. And, I suppose some of it should be self helping, you know, therapeutic. If that part is working I haven't noticed, but, maybe it is and I missed it. If I do find out it has helped I will let you know. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: