Wednesday, July 24, 2013

British Newspaper Headline: "Special Delivery, Duchess Gives Birth to a Prince - And a Global Media Feeding Frenzy Begins!"

Greetings to one and all on this Wednesday, July 24, 2013. I was listening late Monday afternoon to an interview on my satellite radio where a prominent NASCAR driver was being questioned. The announcer started out by asking him about the great news coming out of Great Britain and what he thought about it. The driver was puzzled. He finally admitted that he didn't have any idea whatsoever that the fellow was talking about. What? He hadn't heard? Come on man! It's a boy! There's a new prince in the royal family. How could you not know that? The world is totally preoccupied with this birth and somehow you missed it altogether. That was kind of funny but I too was a little surprised he hadn't heard because I had been out and about on the roadways that afternoon and every news station known to humanity was blaring out the news of this 'great' event. Not just the BBC, but every American news channel was fixated on this little baby who may one day be the king, which, as most of us know, is a purely ceremonial role. Obviously, the royal family is still very much big business and the fairy tale atmosphere continues. I suppose in some ways it's refreshing that at least one NASCAR driver didn't have a clue.

....The good old days!
From time to time I like to listen to the "You Are There" radio programs originally produced and aired by CBS. There are about 60 of the programs preserved and available out on the internet. They ran originally between 1947 and 1950. Some of my readers, not many, may actually remember listening to them on the radio. It was a series where there was essentially a dramatized reenactment of a major historical event with news reporters inserted to interview the participants. The reenactments were based on the best historical facts available and those types of scenarios appeal to me, for some reason. Having the prominent characters at the Alamo, on both sides, being interviewed before that last fateful battle gives perspective and insight that I believe helps to gain a better understanding of what took place. I've also recently ordered up some newspaper reprints from major news events and I do enjoy reading them. I have a Washington DC paper reporting on the assassination of President Kennedy from 1963. I have one printed the day the stock market crashed in 1929. I have one that details the killing of public enemy number one, John Dillinger, the day the first man walked on the moon in 1969, and one from 1945 announcing the end of WWII. I even enjoy reading the want ads, death notices, and other trivia in each of these papers. Now you know why some folks think I am a little off, or maybe a whole bunch off, but that's okay, because they might just be right.

Best I can tell, this would have been the car.
You learn something when you read things like that. I found an ad in the 1929 newspaper were the owner wanted to sell his automobile. The ad read: "1929 AUBURN 8, 890 Model Sport Sedan; 9,000 miles; A-1 mechanically; 5 good tires. Original cost over $2000. Will sacrifice for $1200. Owner needs money. Phone West 4313-M between 6 - 7 p.m." That was a Milwaukee number in case you are interested. I didn't even know there was an Auburn Car Company but I checked it out and it was a well known brand for a number of years but it also succumbed to the Great Depression and ended up going out of business. That fellow's ad was likely prophetic as a preview of what was coming with the great economic collapse that was being ushered in. I do know this. People who lived through the Great Depression were forever influenced by it and folks like my mom actually operate their lives today based on what they learned during that time. Okay. That's what you call a walk down memory or history lane, or maybe it was just a wrong turn for me. Now on to a more pressing piece of business and it's called TODAY. You know. The reality deal. The one we have before us. Take care and may we all make the best of the day that God has given to us. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: